DX11 Public Beta Now Available

dave950lam

Apr 20, 2012
This was mentioned earlier in the thread, but it seems the DX11 beta doesn't do 60fps like DX9. Is there a setting that can be adjusted to correct this? This may explain the slo-mo play when I try DX11.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
This was mentioned earlier in the thread, but it seems the DX11 beta doesn't do 60fps like DX9. Is there a setting that can be adjusted to correct this? This may explain the slo-mo play when I try DX11.

DX11 would appear to have vsync disabled by default (hopefully that will be remedied).

If you're experiencing speed-up issues, probably your monitor is >60hz. Either force your monitor to 60hz OR (better) change your GPU settings for pinballarcadedx11.exe to set vsync to "On".

If you're experiencing slow-down... not sure. Maybe your rig isn't powerful enough, but maybe not, because I've seen people report slow-down on rigs that should be able to handle DX11 without a problem.

dave950lam

Apr 20, 2012
DX11 would appear to have vsync disabled by default (hopefully that will be remedied).

If you're experiencing speed-up issues, probably your monitor is >60hz. Either force your monitor to 60hz OR (better) change your GPU settings for pinballarcadedx11.exe to set vsync to "On".

If you're experiencing slow-down... not sure. Maybe your rig isn't powerful enough, but maybe not, because I've seen people report slow-down on rigs that should be able to handle DX11 without a problem.

I've tried adjusting everything in the DX11 tab with no luck. I still get the slow motion.....

1moreastronaut

Aug 22, 2013
I don't know if by enthusiast you mean VP, FP and so on or Noex. But in case you missed it, at least cab view for TPA is possibly around the corner.
http://digitalpinballfans.com/showthread.php/9804-PBA-Free-Camera-Mod?highlight=noex

Yeah...NoEx was one of the people to whom I was referring, but his utility only solves part of the problem for the vast majority of cabinet owners. It's also further proof that FarSight are really twiddling their thumbs on delivering cab mode.

It's the VP/FP/Unit3D communities which have really pushed this hobby forward with the creation of PinMAME, HyperPin and PinballX (and the various launchers for both), UltraVP and DB2S, and the Direct Output Framework for lighting and feedback. Not to mention the constant creation/refinement of the hundreds of digital tables built from scratch by fans in their spare time for zero compensation outside of people thanking them endlessly for their efforts.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
It's also further proof that FarSight are really twiddling their thumbs on delivering cab mode.

Cab mode is still only a relatively small sub-set of PC enthusiast users. They're not twiddling their thumbs; they're working on it as and when they can in between working on stuff that is for the benefit of a greater number of users. Farsight is a small studio with one or two developers available to work on any given platform. From what I can tell they have one PC developer, and an "engine guy". Well the past few months their PC developer has not only been doing the monthly sprints to get new tables out, he has been "twiddling his thumbs" getting DX11 ready and putting in code ready for tournament/difficulty settings, both of which are labor-intensive processes that require revisiting each table individually. There are only so many hours in a day. Don't mistake someone who is being directed to do what his supervisors and managers require of him - i.e. an employee - with an enthusiast/hobbyist who can dive into a single project without regard to any other priorities.

As far as PC support goes, DX11 benefits everyone. Tournament/difficulty settings benefit everyone.

Maybe they concentrate more on cab users after DX11 and tournament/difficulty settings are done.

Robert Misner

Oct 4, 2014
cab support is a pretty broad term and easy to dismiss as only affecting a few users.

There are a few issues that will help use TPA in a cab like custom camera view that is more appropriate to portrait mode of a display thats more flat on the table..that isn't exclusive to just people with cabs.
also allowing the dmd on a secondary screen..which I don't have a cab but I have duel monitors and I'd like that for playing as well.
the cab community can put together their own backglass support and other minor things to enhance the experience..
I think getting the dmd on a secondary monitor wouldn't be an unreasonable request as a starting point.

Kratos3

Sep 22, 2013
It's funny how we finally get something that's been requested heavily, and then it's like, "OK, where's the next thing?"

AshleyAshes

Jun 27, 2012
It's funny how we finally get something that's been requested heavily, and then it's like, "OK, where's the next thing?"

I was entertained by the demands for DirectX 12 a couple of months ago. I mean SURE, the operating system that DX12 will be exclusive to isn't even out until August, not to mention how much time would be needed for it to gain sufficient market share, but they gotta get on that RIGHT AWAY, right?

1moreastronaut

Aug 22, 2013

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the effort that went into giving us DX11. Having played with the beta, it's definitely a huge improvement over the present version.

But as someone who's been begging for cab mode for two years now, I'm just saying...they're not getting my money for the Steam version until I see some definite progress on that front.

Remembering, also, that my original post in this thread was in response to the question, "Wonder how many season packs are about to be sold..."

Adam

Apr 5, 2012
Installed, working, and gorgeous. Thank you so much for making this beta public.

Also, full screen works fine for me with Alt + Enter.

pm1109

Dec 18, 2013
Anyone think the final version will be out this coming weekend?
Still a lot of bugs to fix so I don't know

Flipperdeflip

Feb 17, 2015
I was entertained by the demands for DirectX 12 a couple of months ago. I mean SURE, the operating system that DX12 will be exclusive to isn't even out until August, not to mention how much time would be needed for it to gain sufficient market share, but they gotta get on that RIGHT AWAY, right?
That's called planning ahead, do you think gaming companies wait for a new technology - or console - to get released before they start programming for it?

The loafer

Oct 28, 2012
No but new consoles lead to new revenue streams. You can't expect the same financial commitment of a dx12 update for what is free dlc. We got dx11 because a good chunk of the work was already done for xboxone

wolfson

May 24, 2013
boys and girls remember FARSIGHT is no GOOGLE or APPLE there only a small group of boys and girls doing a great job; :cool: i have every table on PS3,PS4,XBOX 1 and PC,I`M OVER THE MOON !!!the beta for the PS IS FANTASTIC !!! :cool: EVERYTIME I PLAY I THINK I`M BACK IN MY YOUTH SOME 45 YEARS AGO WAGGING SCHOOL,DOES IT GET ANY BETTER,I DON`T THINK SO !!! :eek:

JPelter

Jun 11, 2012
Going to go ahead and petition here for 16:10 resolutions to be added if possible. It's currently not really possible to test the beta in portrait mode with 1200x1920 due to the weird camera angles/black borders clipping off portions of the screen. Basically just need 1200 pixels as valid for height/width.

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
I am very happy with dx11 and will be for a long time.
But I wouldn't ignore dx12. It is more of a change in the dx api, so "only" an engine update is necessary. Not all the work on table resources again, as the basic principles of the lighting stay the same.
The advantage would be more efficiency and performance on lower end systems, like laptops etc.
It runs on dx11 hardware...

AshleyAshes

Jun 27, 2012
I am very happy with dx11 and will be for a long time.
But I wouldn't ignore dx12. It is more of a change in the dx api, so "only" an engine update is necessary. Not all the work on table resources again, as the basic principles of the lighting stay the same.
The advantage would be more efficiency and performance on lower end systems, like laptops etc.
It runs on dx11 hardware...

DX12 also runs MUCH closer to the metal, meaning it's take a LOT more developer effort to support a range of graphics platforms without bugs in exchange for that increased efficiency. And, again, it'll be EXCLUSIVE to Windows 10, meaning it will only be on a narrow range of PCs for the first 12-24months as the OS gains market share. All of this for a company that makes the brunt of it's profit off iOS and Android and this is a niche game in the first place. It doesn't make any financial sense for a small developer and by the time it does, lower end systems will be more powerful anyway.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.