Latest NEWS And INFORMATION On Silverball Studios' Pro Pinball: Revived & Remastered

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
I just couldn't resist posting this, but is it just me or would a partnership between Silverball and FarSight be an unstoppable force that would rule the virtual pinball world? Pro Pinball Arcade for next gen platforms anyone?
I have no idea how the logistics of such a thing would work, but it would indeed be bloody awesome if it ever came to pass. Even a few jointly-developed tables a year or two down the road (available on both TPA and Pro Pinball) would be amazing.

But Silverball's kickstarter has to get funded first, before anything like that could be anything more than a dream.

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
I have no idea how the logistics of such a thing would work, but it would indeed be bloody awesome if it ever came to pass. Even a few jointly-developed tables a year or two down the road (available on both TPA and Pro Pinball) would be amazing.

But Silverball's kickstarter has to get funded first, before anything like that could be anything more than a dream.

If Silverball Studios' Kickstarter falls through, FarSight is currently hiring...I'm just saying. ;)

goforthewall

Feb 21, 2012
A combined effort between FarSight and Silverball would be extremely awesome! We need a Capcom VS SNK type of collaboration =) Silverball's KS goal seems very high and I've spent way too much on recent Kickstarters...over $500 (>_<)... and now the next "MUST-BACK project". What to do??!!

mmmagnetic

May 29, 2012
That's something I thought about as well, but I think it's good to have two separate companies. For one thing, this insane looking prerendering technology is probably completely useless for the polygonal graphics TPA uses, and who knows what that means for the physics engine as well - maybe they work differently due to the graphic structure of the tables?

I would KILL for Whirlwind or TAF rendered inside the Pro Pinball engine, but I doubt that would happen like that. But hey, who knows. What specifically do you guys think such a collaboration/merger would look like?

...one thing that would be really cool: Having the new Lawlor table both on PP and TPA, but I think that would cause some heated arguments over what version looks and plays better.

I wonder how things would turn out if instead Farsight got to collaborate with Pat Lawlor and Silverball made a lower-goal Kickstarter for PP. I have no idea how hard it is to get a veteran pinball designer working with you, but Silverball must be doing something right, I mean, as far as I see it this whole thing jut came completely out of the blue.

I think it's wait and see. To me, Lawlor / Youssi + the new prerendered black magic + the four classic tables people seem to be very nostalgic for + that physics engine everybody gushes about is a very powerful combo, I'd love if they can make it on their own.

Maybe Farsight should contact one of the Ritchie brothers or JPop. I mean, why not! Let's party like it's 1992! And, damnit, somebody better bring Chris Granner too.

Last edited:

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
Here's a video of "The Web" played on DOS to wet your appetite...

mmmagnetic

May 29, 2012
I really like the soft elevator muzak in Big Race, to be honest. Much better than all that generic "epic" stuff in Zen pinball. Somehow the sound design on Pinball Pulse on DSi was much weaker than on the Pro Pinball games (with the repetitive single harp note), which makes me play the less deep, but much better sounding Metroid Pinball much more often.

And the robotic "whoop whoop whoop" sound of the spinner in Fantasic Journey somehow, well - tickles my fancy, for lack of a better term ;)

I'm still not sure whether or not I should go through the effort and try to run these games via DosBox on my Mac or just hope for the best and wait till the new version comes along and keep it fresh.

Last edited:

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
I still play these tables almost daily with my X-arcade tankstick. Can't wait to see them remastered.

mmmagnetic

May 29, 2012
I still play these tables almost daily with my X-arcade tankstick. Can't wait to see them remastered.

How would you compare it to other machines (either in TPA or real machines)? Seems like people are really loving the scoring system, and it sounds a bit like RBION or Road Show, with the whole traveling aspect (like in Big Race as well).

8 hours and 52 minutes to go, the Kickstarter countdown is firmly planted in my tabs now, so I can spend a nice full day of working on stuff, and the countdown will be over at midnight here in Germany.

Probably won´t pledge in the first few days (still need to figure out how much I can reasonably spend, especially considering the rewards - that keychain already intrigues me, I just love pieces of metal with company logos I like on them), but I can´t wait for the offical promo video. They mentioned a "cameo", wonder who (or what?) that is!

EDIT: A user on Facebook said he would double his pledge if they get out a PC demo of the lighting engine, to which Pro Pinball answered "Deal! Hopefully be the end of the week... :)".

Last edited:

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
UPDATE Silverball Studios' Pro Pinball : Revived & Remastered Kickstarter campaign has been slightly delayed, but will launch within the next couple of days. Stay Tuned!

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
UPDATE I have posted an exclusive Q&A with Adrian Barritt and Pat Lawlor in the OP that is comprised of questions submitted by the Pinball Arcade Fans Forum community. ENJOY!

Also, Silverball Studios' Pro Pinball : Revived & Remastered Kickstarter campaign should launch within the next 24 to 48 hours. Stay tuned!

karl

May 10, 2012
Wow! That was fast. Thanks Pin Wiz for doing this. Just wish I could have come up with some more intricate questions for Pat :D . Good questions mmmagnetic. Seems the Pro Pinball team is really into interactions with the fans. That could be just the thing that get this monster of a project done. (especially if they update their kickstarter often with little news bits and answer fan questions in the comments). Thank you Adam, Pat and Pin Wiz

mmmagnetic

May 29, 2012
Oh boy OH BOY OH BOY. Can't wait to read this, have to get some stuff done first. I'm really excited :)

Also, I feel a bit like an idiot for not realizing the Q&A is on the first page - kept searching for a new thread, then on the Prop Pinball site ;)

Edit:

First off, big thanks to Adrian, Pat and PiN WiZ, these answers were fantastic, detailed and even quite personal.

I hope Adrian didn´t get me wrong when I talked about the sound design, because I watched some more Pro Pinball videos and actually started to really enjoy the music, hope I didn´t hurt anybodys feelings.

Cool to hear Adrian admires Little Wings, their games are indeed very well made, and I like this comment about "quality over quantity" a lot. I guess this is what makes the Pro Pinball fanbase so dedicated, even after all these years!

The comments about prerendered graphics are pretty much what I expected, the lighting stuff in the video looks incredible, and I think it´s very interesting that this can scale so well, with a lighting engine that (sounds like) sits on top of the prerendered graphics. I really love what they´re making with these techniques, achieving a photorealistic look like that with polygons is probably still at least 5 years away (not even including portable devices like iOS or Android).

And I had no idea Zeus and Hera actually influenced the scoring that much, I don´t remember reading this in the included documentation - makes me really want to go back to it some more, I love concepts like these, I really hope they can include something like this in the new game.

And I think it´s awesome that Pat keeps on learning new programs, I was indeed aware that he had a background as a videogame designer, and it´s good to hear he keeps going. Very interesting that he will be designing directly within the Pro Pinball engine - it speaks volumes about the quality of these physics if such a veteran pinball designer can work directly in it!

...can´t wait see the promo stuff when the Kickstarter finally goes live!

Last edited:

Pinballfan69

Mar 28, 2012
Wow the Physics look spectacular in those vids. Probably the best I have ever seen. How old is this? Really impressed. Looking forward for more info this. Man what a wonderful world it would be to have these table physics with TPA and Zen pinball. Oh the possibilities.

mmmagnetic

May 29, 2012
Wow the Physics look spectacular in those vids. Probably the best I have ever seen. How old is this? Really impressed. Looking forward for more info this. Man what a wonderful world it would be to have these table physics with TPA and Zen pinball. Oh the possibilities.

1995 - 1999. The oldest one (The Web) is seventeen years old. To say that these games have aged well is certainly an understatement ;)

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts