Official Twilight Zone News

Ark Malmeida

Apr 3, 2012
There's something I've been wondering in terms of the statement that Microsoft won't allow codes for DLC on the 360. How is it that games like Halo can have download codes for map packs (I've used them) and Pinball FX2 can have download codes for their DLC tables (I've seen them give them out on other forums) yet Farsight can't get codes for their DLC tables? Does Microsoft only do this for games they publish? Just curious. This fact didn't affect my participation in the TZ kickstarter. I happily contributed the first day and will most likely do so again for any future projects, but I think it would really help with the overall contributions if they had a solution for 360 owners. I know DLC codes exist for the 360 so it would seem quite unfair if Microsoft only allows them in certain situations.

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
There's something I've been wondering in terms of the statement that Microsoft won't allow codes for DLC on the 360. How is it that games like Halo can have download codes for map packs (I've used them) and Pinball FX2 can have download codes for their DLC tables (I've seen them give them out on other forums) yet Farsight can't get codes for their DLC tables? Does Microsoft only do this for games they publish? Just curious. This fact didn't affect my participation in the TZ kickstarter. I happily contributed the first day and will most likely do so again for any future projects, but I think it would really help with the overall contributions if they had a solution for 360 owners. I know DLC codes exist for the 360 so it would seem quite unfair if Microsoft only allows them in certain situations.

The difference here is that FarSight is getting money upfront for The Twilight Zone DLC which means Microsoft doesn't get their cut from the DLC table FarSight is giving away to those who pledge (pay for the DLC upfront). If FarSight was to flat out give The Twilight Zone table away for free without getting any money up front for it, Microsoft wouldn't have a problem with it. It's all about getting their cut.

I've already recommended that FarSight give out generic Microsoft Points equal to the cost of The Twilight Zone DLC table for those who want the Xbox 360 version and they're currently looking into this as we speak.

Last edited:

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
The difference here is that FarSight is getting money upfront for The Twilight Zone DLC which means Microsoft doesn't get their cut from the DLC table FarSight is giving away to those who pledge (pay for the DLC upfront). If FarSight was to flat out give The Twilight Zone table away for free without getting any money up front for it, Microsoft wouldn't have a problem with it. It's all about getting their cut.

I've already recommended that FarSight give out generic Microsoft Points equal to the cost of The Twilight Zone DLC table for those who want the Xbox 360 version and they're currently looking into this as we speak.

I'm curious how much that will take from their bottom line. They have to pay for the MS points. When they give the game away they lose the potential sale but not any actual cash. If they are valuing the giveaway at about the same price as the points then on paper it is the same. But it might be a cash flow issue.

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
I'm curious how much that will take from their bottom line. They have to pay for the MS points. When they give the game away they lose the potential sale but not any actual cash. If they are valuing the giveaway at about the same price as the points then on paper it is the same. But it might be a cash flow issue.

I thought of that as well and I'm sure that is the reason why FarSight hasn't made a decision on it just yet, but the way I see it, if The Twilight Zone DLC is $5 and you have to donate $10 to get the DLC on a system of your choice, I'd rather take the $5 left over after I pay for the pledger's DLC than not get any money from them at all.

Last edited:

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
I'm more concerned about getting the operator-menu-enabled version on the 360 since that one won't be available for sale. But since the number of special-edition TZs will be a known number at the end of the kickstarter (all $100+ backers), couldn't FS and MS work out what MS's cut would have been on those tables had they been sold, and FS then pays MS that amount?

Given a surge of interest and that we have 200 qualifying backers at the end, and that TZ is offered at $15 - which would be really high considering the licenses would be covered by the kickstarter - total "sales" to that group is $3000. Even assuming a 30% cut, we're talking less than a thousand dollars. Surely there is some way to make this work...?

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
I'm more concerned about getting the operator-menu-enabled version on the 360 since that one won't be available for sale. But since the number of special-edition TZs will be a known number at the end of the kickstarter (all $100+ backers), couldn't FS and MS work out what MS's cut would have been on those tables had they been sold, and FS then pays MS that amount?

Given a surge of interest and that we have 200 qualifying backers at the end, and that TZ is offered at $15 - which would be really high considering the licenses would be covered by the kickstarter - total "sales" to that group is $3000. Even assuming a 30% cut, we're talking less than a thousand dollars. Surely there is some way to make this work...?

I've spoken with FarSight about this as well and they're looking into a work around that may get Xbox 360 users access to the operator's menu as well. Hopefully they do this soon and announce it on The Twilight Zone Kickstarter page.

Ark Malmeida

Apr 3, 2012

So does anyone know the actual policy for how codes work for DLC? Besides the Halo and Pinball FX2 I mentioned above (both published by MS) there have been other games like Rock Band that give out codes for DLC so they are definitely available. Unless the companies pay for the codes, MS doesn't get a cut there. I'm confused by the whole process. There are definitely other situations where there have been codes for DLC, but Farsight told us that MS said they cannot give DLC codes. What's the deal? Even if they had to pay for these codes, they DO exist for other games' DLC.

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
So does anyone know the actual policy for how codes work for DLC? Besides the Halo and Pinball FX2 I mentioned above (both published by MS) there have been other games like Rock Band that give out codes for DLC so they are definitely available. Unless the companies pay for the codes, MS doesn't get a cut there. I'm confused by the whole process. There are definitely other situations where there have been codes for DLC, but Farsight told us that MS said they cannot give DLC codes. What's the deal? Even if they had to pay for these codes, they DO exist for other games' DLC.

If FS were to just give it away on the 360 market it would be fine. However if they are selling it directly or through a third party and then want to deliver it for free on the 360 market then MS has a problem with not getting their cut. MS sees the premiums given for kickstart donations as selling it.

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012

Again, all the codes you mentioned that were given out to download DLC for free were not paid for up front directly to the companies giving out the codes. When a company does a Kickstarter, they are getting all the money (and then some) up front for the DLC from those who pledge. The companies you mentioned above are not getting any money what so ever for the codes they give out, so Microsoft allows it. I hope you get what I'm trying to say here because this is the only reason Microsoft will not allow FarSight to give out DLC codes to pledgers...Microsoft doesn't like the idea of FarSight making money on DLC that is obviously paid for by pledgers and them not getting a cut of it.

Ark Malmeida

Apr 3, 2012
If FS were to just give it away on the 360 market it would be fine. However if they are selling it directly or through a third party and then want to deliver it for free on the 360 market then MS has a problem with not getting their cut. MS sees the premiums given for kickstart donations as selling it.

Again, all the codes you mentioned that were given out to download DLC for free were not paid for up front directly to the companies giving out the codes. When a company does a Kickstarter, they are getting all the money (and then some) up front for the DLC from those who pledge. The companies you mentioned above are not getting any money what so ever for the codes they give out, so Microsoft allows it. I hope you get what I'm trying to say here because this is the only reason Microsoft will not allow FarSight to give out DLC codes to pledgers...Microsoft doesn't like the idea of FarSight making money on DLC that is obviously paid for by pledgers and them not getting a cut of it.

Ah, I get it now thanks for the clarification! They're fine with 'freebies' to a point, but they don't consider these to be free since they are incentives for monetary pledges. Got it. Oh well, I'm okay with it, and like I said it didn't affect my pledge, but I think they'd have their goal already, or pretty darn close if there was some kind of solution for the 360.

I was just confused because Farsight didn't state that in their FAQ answer:

Will the Twilight Zone table be available on the Xbox 360?

We will definitely release the table on the 360- we just can't give it to anyone as a reward for being a backer. The codes that Microsoft issues us only work for purchasing the main game, not for downloadable content.

Reading that gave me the impression that MS doesn't issue codes at all for DLC packs which definitely isn't the case.

Last edited:

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Update #4: The Xbox 360 version of the Twilight Zone is now included as a reward!

"We've got some great news- we've worked out with Microsoft a way to award the Xbox 360 version of the Twilight Zone table as a reward to our backers! You'll need to already own the Xbox 360 version of the Pinball Arcade to have access to the table on the 360. If you've pledged at the $10 level we'll contact you as the ship date approaches asking you which platform you'd like the table on (including the 360). If you've pledged at the $100 level you'll get the table on every platform (including the 360) as well as the access to the Table Operator's Menu on every platform (including the 360)! Kickstarter doesn't allow us to edit the text of the rewards, so unfortunately the language about the 360 version not being available as a reward will remain (but we'll post a clarifying FAQ).

We're now over 80% of the way to making the Twilight Zone pinball table a reality! If the lack of the Xbox 360 version as a reward was holding you back, please increase your pledge and help put us over the top!
"

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1067367405/pinball-arcade-the-twilight-zone/posts

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
Update #4: The Xbox 360 version of the Twilight Zone is now included as a reward!

"We've got some great news- we've worked out with Microsoft a way to award the Xbox 360 version of the Twilight Zone table as a reward to our backers! You'll need to already own the Xbox 360 version of the Pinball Arcade to have access to the table on the 360. If you've pledged at the $10 level we'll contact you as the ship date approaches asking you which platform you'd like the table on (including the 360). If you've pledged at the $100 level you'll get the table on every platform (including the 360) as well as the access to the Table Operator's Menu on every platform (including the 360)! Kickstarter doesn't allow us to edit the text of the rewards, so unfortunately the language about the 360 version not being available as a reward will remain (but we'll post a clarifying FAQ).

We're now over 80% of the way to making the Twilight Zone pinball table a reality! If the lack of the Xbox 360 version as a reward was holding you back, please increase your pledge and help put us over the top!
"

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1067367405/pinball-arcade-the-twilight-zone/posts

I'm glad to see FarSight got the Xbox 360 problem sorted out. Let the pledges start rolling in... :)

As I promised FarSight...I'm heading over to up my pledge to $100.

Last edited:

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Right on....and getting the table on EVERY platform at the $100 level (w/ Operator's Menu access) is a pretty cool update, too.

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
I hope FarSight is seeing the pattern here...3 days ago, posted an update with a pic of their newly aquired The Twilight Zone pinball machine, pledges started rolling in...about an hour ago, posted an update that included Xbox 360 users in the reward tiers, pledges started rolling in. This is not a coincidence...UPDATE, UPDATE, UPDATE...everybody loves updates!

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts