Outdated physics compared to PS4

Shaneus

Mar 26, 2012
Just noticed the PS4 update and decided to give it a run, and I'm reminded (again) of how far behind the PC version feels in terms of ball "liveliness" and realism. Is there a reason the PC version still seems to use ball physics one or two versions behind the PS4 one, possibly from the PS3/360 platform?

Understandable (by comparison) that the lighting is yet to come over, but the ball behaviour should be something that is most up-to-date on PC given the processing power available compared to other platforms.

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
Those rumors that Sony wanted FS to "sabotage" the other versions so theirs would be the best were put down as false, but this is making me think hmmm, maybe there might be something there after all.
Regardless, FS better up their game, because VP10 will be here in the next few months.

swift

Apr 7, 2014
It wouldn't be the first time sony does something like this, it's Watch_Dogs all over again. There's no logical reason to keep a different code base for the PS4, if other platforms can handle it. Same thing with dx11 that was advertised for the PC, but still hasn't arrived.

rehtroboi40

Oct 20, 2012
Those rumors that Sony wanted FS to "sabotage" the other versions so theirs would be the best were put down as false, but this is making me think hmmm, maybe there might be something there after all.
Regardless, FS better up their game, because VP10 will be here in the next few months.

If that were true, then FarSight couldn't even do that sabotage job right. Especially judging by recent posts on the PS forums here.

Mike Reitmeyer

FarSight Employee
Mar 13, 2012
Every platform uses the exact same physics code/engine? Writing a physics engine is quite complicated, and I have no desire to write two different physics engines.

Any changes I'd make to the physics code would end up on PC first, because it would be way easier to test those changes.

Also, I'm unaware of Sony asking us to sabotage non PS versions.

Shaneus

Mar 26, 2012
Mike, I apologise for the claims of sabotage... not sure where they came from. But there's a clear difference between platforms with how the ball behaves, perhaps it's a sampling rate thing or something. From what I can tell, there seem to be three different levels (in order of complexity, IMO): iOS/Android, PS3/360/PC, PS4.

I'd have to say that'd probably be it... ball behaviour isn't necessarily different when viewed as basic calculations (ball at X speed it when it reaches Y part on the flipper will hit Z point on the machine when the flipper is activated, for example), but on a micro level it feels like there's more going on with it on PS4 than any other platform. Smaller movements that wouldn't register as anything on the ball if it had a lower sampling rate (say, 60Hz vs 120Hz).

That's how I'd describe it, anyway. If it makes sense.

hammr25

Oct 4, 2012
It wouldn't be the first time sony does something like this, it's Watch_Dogs all over again. There's no logical reason to keep a different code base for the PS4, if other platforms can handle it. Same thing with dx11 that was advertised for the PC, but still hasn't arrived.

The PS4 doesn't use DirectX. There's a reason why the DirectX patch will be out after the Xbox One version of the game is released.

Zorgwon

Sep 14, 2013
Overall there is more random on my Android than on Steam. Sometimes balls get sucked up the ramps (ramp helper). That happens more frequently on my droid but the difference isn't big.

N

netizen

Every platform uses the exact same physics code/engine

You need to get off the PC and try playing on Mobile a bit Mike. That statement is good from a coding perspective, but it doesn't look/perform that way from the end users perspective.

My Nexus 10 tablet has more power than my Laptop, but for some reason the physics on my POS laptop are better/easier than on my tablet. It's not a matter of Nudge as many players suggest, as I can play with analogue nudge on my 'droid as well as on my PC. There are actual table to table - platform to platform differences in gameplay.

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
yeah. the mobile physics are NOT the same as other physics. (Monster Bash proves it with the scoop)
and x360/PC physics is not identical to PS3 physics. (Funhouse proves it with the trapdoor shot)

N

netizen

Are you guys talking about tuning differences or actual engine differences? O_O
It's hopefully just a matter of tuning, but with some tables the differences are so vast between platforms that it almost feels like a difference in the engine.

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
simply put the rebounds and even the flipper aiming is not the same from platform to platform.

ANdroid/iOS
ps3
Xbox360/pc

those platforms seem different from each other to me on some table.

Shaneus

Mar 26, 2012
It's hopefully just a matter of tuning, but with some tables the differences are so vast between platforms that it almost feels like a difference in the engine.
It's beyond tuning, IMO. There's a liveliness to the ball around the flippers on PS4 that just isn't there on any of the PC tables. Putting my money on refresh/sample rate of the ball around the lower third of the table.

One day when I have time, I'd love to try and capture footage of it. Heck, it wouldn't even take that long with the video capture facility on PS4. If I have a chance this weekend, I'll do it (whilst trying to find a "test" that suitably shows off the differences in exactly the same circumstances).

Shaneus

Mar 26, 2012
Any word on this? I understand Mike's input on everything theoretically being the same, but on playing different versions there's most definitely a difference there. Couldn't have this many people across the globe coming to the same conclusion just by coincidence.

wolfson

May 24, 2013
no difference between my PC and my PS4 ,only the lightinng on PS4 is miles ahead. that will be fixed when the PC gets the lighting update. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.