Random Auto Tilts

neilpinbot

Apr 4, 2012
OK. my MRS has just bought an Archos 97 cobalt tablet to replace our ageing tab. So off course I install TPA, download the pinbot table to it and the table starts tilting immediately not even possibly to launch a ball. I went in game settings and have tried it with all tilt combinations, Touchscreen, tilt off and it is still auto tilting at table launch, tried STTNG and this also tilting at launch. Not tried experimenting too much as the Mrs only bought the tab a few days ago. Other games that we have played seem fine. Glad I found this thread as I had no idea this was a reported bug.

Ryan Routon

FarSight Employee
Feb 24, 2012
I wonder if for some reason the hardware drivers are using the accelerometers to override some of the axis values. Does this still happen if its flat on a desk without moving it?

Pop Sergeant

Jul 26, 2012
I wonder if for some reason the hardware drivers are using the accelerometers to override some of the axis values. Does this still happen if its flat on a desk without moving it?

My tablet (Galaxy Note 2014) had a host of issues with TPA out of the box. One of it's accessibility functions included built in "motion control" to zoom by tilting back to front and pan by tilting side to side. Another was a palm motion detection to mute and auto-screen capture. I turned both off (with some other settings) and completely resolved my issues.

Here are where mine were located:

SETTINGS / CONTROLS – Motion Control (Side Bar)

Motions – OFF
Palm motion – OFF

That said, I had flippers getting stuck in the up (raised position) and balls and bombs auto-launching on me every time. I found another accessibility setting for "press and hold" was defaulted to 0.5 seconds. I increased it to 1.0 seconds and resolved those issues as well.

SETTINGS / CONNECTIONS – ACCESSIBILITY

Mobility Section: Press and hold delay – INCREASE to Medium (1.0 second) *

I wrote about it here in this PSA:

http://digitalpinballfans.com/showthread.php/7154-PSA-Galaxy-Note-2014-(10-1)

It's not meant to be a problem report. It's a bit of a ramble (sorry). My interest was in sharing, not reporting a bug, since it turned out to be all about my hardware and vendor software and not a TPA issue.

Anyway, for whatever it's worth.

There ya' go.

neilpinbot

Apr 4, 2012

The tables are still auto tilting with the tablet flat on the floor. I was able to launch the ball which then disappears pressing the screen for flippers seems to register as a heavy nudge. it's pretty much behaving as in Michael's above video.

Update. just tried T2 and it's behaving exactly as in Michael's video. It seems that all screen presses for flippers causes the table to nudge even when nudging is off in settings.

Last edited:

Michael DiFilippo

Mar 26, 2012
To all!,

As a reminder, these issues did not occur prior to T2's release. These issues started to occur around October's release which I believe was roughly the same time the tilt meter was implemented. That should be enough to go with for now. Since higher end spec'd devices out there do not reproduce the behavior I understand if this is not a priority.

Stuart Webster

Apr 24, 2013
To all!,

As a reminder, these issues did not occur prior to T2's release. These issues started to occur around October's release which I believe was roughly the same time the tilt meter was implemented. That should be enough to go with for now. Since higher end spec'd devices out there do not reproduce the behavior I understand if this is not a priority.
Good to know. The tilt meter was implemented when PC was in beta; the same time that Cue Ball Wizard and El Dorado were released.

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
Good to know. The tilt meter was implemented when PC was in beta; the same time that Cue Ball Wizard and El Dorado were released.

Tilt Meter came into Android with pack 19 (CO1812 & Victory ) beta 24/10/13
http://digitalpinballfans.com/showthread.php?t=6182

We also have the other tilt meter bug...
if tilt meter = on, tilt = app crash bug.
Reported here - http://digitalpinballfans.com/showthread.php?p=109670
I have a YouTube clip of this, I pm'd to Ryan.

Last edited:

neilpinbot

Apr 4, 2012
Bump:
Any progress on this issue. TPA is still totally unplayable on my tablet. Tried a few tables and they all suffer from the ball disappearing and the table auto nudging/tilting. On AFM the main centre saucer disappeared from it's centre location and parts of the image was flickering all over the screen both on and off the table.

Ryan Routon

FarSight Employee
Feb 24, 2012
Not yet but I plan on making a test build to take a crack at it. We still can't reproduce this, so I am programming in the dark so I appreciate your patience. Once I finish fixing global non-Android related issues with Challenge mode I will get a beta ready.

neilpinbot

Apr 4, 2012
Thank's Ryan.
If it's of any help I checked the specs of the device that (Ejsik) is using. sony xperia sola. And notice that it shares some of the same internal hardware of my Archos 9.7 cobalt tablet. Namely Dual core-cortex A9 with mali 400 gpu.

Pl155cm

Feb 7, 2014
I have an archos familypad 2 with 1.6 ghz dual core A9 chip exact same issues, open tables and as soon as I use the plunger the table tilts, even with tilt off, then sticks until the game crashes or I end the game . Some tables the ball disappears after launch gutted as I was looking forward to playing on the 13" screen! Guess I'll have to stick to ps4 just now

Michael DiFilippo

Mar 26, 2012
Not yet but I plan on making a test build to take a crack at it. We still can't reproduce this, so I am programming in the dark so I appreciate your patience. Once I finish fixing global non-Android related issues with Challenge mode I will get a beta ready.

Ryan! I just discovered something!!.

Does anyone at work have a Note 3 or Samsung note tablet? The issue can be reproduced with the S PEN.

Yes you heard right. My new note 3 is in the same boat. The touch screen works great but I tried to see how TPA would work with S PEN and I couldn't believe my eyes.

Just hover the pen over the screen to display the cursor. It causes the same symptoms as my Nook.

Ryan Routon

FarSight Employee
Feb 24, 2012
actually we don't. Is the s pen the same as any other capacitive pen? I have one of those at home. When you say hover you mean not touching physically ?

Michael DiFilippo

Mar 26, 2012
actually we don't. Is the s pen the same as any other capacitive pen? I have one of those at home. When you say hover you mean not touching physically ?

Yes, the SPen displays a cursor which appears, with help from the front camera, without actually pressing on the device.
Moving the cursor along the screen will the be enough to reproduce.

I have to research but I think the pen is specific to the device and not a capacitive stylus.

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013

S pen is not the same as a normal capacitive stylus.

The Galaxy Note has a special Wacom digitizer which allows it to act pressure sensitively to the s pen.

Michael DiFilippo

Mar 26, 2012
I wonder if all of the devices have that smart front camera feature that is sending key events to the app erroneously.

In order to get a better idea of where this issue is I have commented out some code. Try this build and see if you still see the auto tilt issue

/graspingatstraws

http://androidfiles.pinballarcade.com/beta/AndroidPinballActivityTiltBeta.apk

Wow great job! Both my note 3 and my nook are working as expected again. Now all we need now is to tweak/debug that code you commented out. Unless others still can report it happening,

Thanks for your support! I know a lot of people are going to wanna an official log/update on Google Play when this issue is finally purged.

Members online

Members online