• Cyclone

Votes: 11 9.0%
  • Red & Ted's Roadshow

Votes: 36 29.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Zombie Aladdin

Mar 28, 2014
7. Tales from the Crypt (A fun table and fun, popular license)

I highly doubt Tales from the Crypt is popular anymore. I even wonder how many people are still familiar with the Cryptkeeper.

sometimes I really wonder are the TPA players so young and so different in taste than people who grew up with pins.
My wote goes for TPZ

I was born in 1986, so technically I grew up with them, but I never really touched pinball machines until recently. I can say that pinball people were, and still are, in a totally different world than the mainstream, but you can say that with pretty much ANY fandom. You can see it in all of the dead franchises indie pinball makers are going for (The Big Lebowski, Thunderbirds Go!, Predator, Duck Hunt). I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, though, and guess that they chose them because the licenses were inexpensive. However, nostalgia alone is unsustainable for a business.

the1observant

May 19, 2013
I voted for "F-14 Tomcat".

Same here. F-14 Tomcat was a fast action machine with lights and sound that really grabbed full undivided attention and concentration. I was totally fascinated by it, nearly mesmerized into a trance. But, every time those upper rotating lights came on a small crowd would gather to see what's up, which sometimes would throw off my sync and vibe (hate it when that happens). Hey, you know what would be cool? A virtual crowd of people standing around the table trying to mess you up... lol... I always had that 1 'backseat pinball player' tapping the glass and saying, "Put it there! Put it there!".

Last edited:

shogun00

Dec 25, 2012
sometimes I really wonder are the TPA players so young and so different in taste than people who grew up with pins.
My wote goes for TPZ
It's more of what you were introduced to than your age. Some of the players (like my friends) are just getting into pinball thanks to Zen Pinball/Pinball FX, while others grew up with it by playing real machines.

I personally fall into the latter and with that said, I'm mostly into alphanumeric and DM tables. That's because that's what I was introduced to when I was 8 years old (in 1990). The pinball machine that got me into pinball was Rollergames (an alphanumeric).

I don't really care much for EMs and early SS (numeric) tables. Although, they are starting to grow on me a little thanks to TPA.

ER777

Sep 8, 2012
Tough choice for me between JD and RS as far as this particular poll goes.. I went with Roadshow just because there's one within driving distance I could go for high scores on if I learned the rules.

For tables not in the poll I'm hoping for Banzai Run to make TPA now that I had a chance to play it at Pinfest.

jbejarano

Jul 6, 2012
It was a toss-up amongst F-14 Tomcat, Red & Ted's Roadshow, and Earthshaker for me, with Jack*Bot and Cyclone not far behind. Went with F-14 Tomcat.

DokkenRokken

Banned
Apr 7, 2014
My wote goes for TPZ

I was born in '85 and grew up playing "Silverball Mania" and "Capt. Fantastic and The Brown Dirt Cowboy". (My uncle was an arcade/pinball collector for a while, also had "Tron", among a few others) I don't really thing age has anything to do with it, at least not for the majority. I think people play what they like. I'm not a fan of either of those two tables I mentioned, even though I grew up playing machines just like the ones I mentioned.

I still have a VHS of myself playing "Space Shuttle" at Chuck E. Cheese for the very first time. Now THAT was a pinball table, so much fun.

I'd love to see "Silverball Mania" get made, but only and purely for nostalgia purposes.

I highly doubt Tales from the Crypt is popular anymore. I even wonder how many people are still familiar with the Cryptkeeper.

I think you'd be surprised how many still remember him. We're in an age where anyone can stumble upon or look up the TV show, comics, or cartoons. You can even stumble upon the action figures on ebay.

Same here. F-14 Tomcat was a fast action machine with lights and sound that really grabbed full undivided attention and concentration. I was totally fascinated by it, nearly mesmerized into a trance. But, every time those upper rotating lights came on a small crowd would gather to see what's up, which sometimes would throw off my sync and vibe (hate it when that happens). Hey, you know what would be cool? A virtual crowd of people standing around the table trying to mess you up... lol... I always had that 1 'backseat pinball player' tapping the glass and saying, "Put it there! Put it there!".

I hear ya all the way!

Zombie Aladdin

Mar 28, 2014
The thing is that Tales from the Crypt has fallen so far off the mainstream that the people who stumble across episodes of it and such online wouldn't be large enough in number for it to be still in the consciousness of your John Q. Public. The only remnant of the show left on television, for instance, is "Blood of Bordello" that airs on some Halloween nights on Comedy Central. Without it being in production, nothing made except home video re-releases for the fans, or any sort of marketing approaching 20 years, it's not going to be publically relevant anymore. If a franchise needs to be "remembered," then it's no longer popular.

It's actually become harder for any one franchise to achieve mainstream popularity than before, if you ask me, and the Internet is the reason why. Whereas before, media would have large, general audiences because there wasn't much choice in what to read or watch, the proliferation of narrowcasted TV and the Internet in the late '90s have fragmented those general audiences into tiny, specialized chunks cut off from other tiny, specialized chunks.

And for the record, so far, I think the only licensed pinball machines on The Pinball Arcade to still be culturally relevant today are Monster Bash and with it Creature from the Black Lagoon (everyone can still recognize the Universal horror monsters, even if they're no longer taken seriously, and Universal Studios continues to use those characters) and The Twilight Zone (still airs occasionally on SyFy; "Twilight Zone" is still in popular use as a phrase to indicate an unusual circumstance or erratic behavior). Star Trek: The Next Generation still has semi-relevance (very recognizable, actors portraying main characters are still performing, albeit in totally unrelated roles, and it is currently showing on BBC America, but the Star Trek franchise has since moved to the J.J. Abrams movies, leaving TNG solely for the Trekkies), as is Terminator 2 (Salvation was panned, and it underperformed at the box office, meaning the franchise has probably been put into cold storage).

Last edited:

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Terminator 2 (Salvation was panned, and it underperformed at the box office, meaning the franchise has probably been put into cold storage.

Wrong. Would you like to try again for $200?

I'm talking about the cold storage of the franchise. Megan Ellison's production company Annapurna Pictures bought the rights to the Terminator franchise for 20 million. Her brother at Skydance is now in control and currently gearing up for a proposed trilogy of Terminator films, the first called Terminator: Genesis which will be released by Paramount. Emilia Clarke and Jai Courtney are set to star along with Ah-nold.

After 2018 I believe, the rights to the Terminator revert back to Cameron, who initially sold the rights to his then wife Gale Anne Hurd for one dollar.

DokkenRokken

Banned
Apr 7, 2014
Wrong. Would you like to try again for $200?

I'm talking about the cold storage of the franchise. Megan Ellison's production company Annapurna Pictures bought the rights to the Terminator franchise for 20 million. Her brother at Skydance is now in control and currently gearing up for a proposed trilogy of Terminator films, the first called Terminator: Genesis which will be released by Paramount. Emilia Clarke and Jai Courtney are set to star along with Ah-nold.

After 2018 I believe, the rights to the Terminator revert back to Cameron, who initially sold the rights to his then wife Gale Anne Hurd for one dollar.

I thought "Salvation" was pretty decent. I thought it was a heck of a lot better than that abortion called "Terminator 3".

As for the reboot, I seriously don't get it? Just leave it alone. You've already ruined the series enough as it is.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I agree, I can't stomach watching T3 again, but Salvation was alright. Which is the problem, being just 'alright'.

As for just leaving it alone, I think there are interesting stories to be found. The problem is continually trying to tie into John and Sarah Connor with new actors. Tell the tale from different perspectives, thus preserving what the actors in the first 2 did. Tell goddamn future war properly, which I think Salvation was trying to. And above all, keep it adult and hard R!

I'm a sucker for time travel movies, and Terminator is mostly responsible for that in my life. I'm also a sucker for the Alien franchise, again thanks to Cameron as Aliens was the first I saw (one of the best theater experiences I've ever had). Point is, I'll wade into whatever these franchises throw at me, but they're not going to ruin what I like best about them.

Rudy hates me

Jan 13, 2014
I thought "Salvation" was pretty decent. I thought it was a heck of a lot better than that abortion called "Terminator 3".

As for the reboot, I seriously don't get it? Just leave it alone. You've already ruined the series enough as it is.

A big problem with T3 is that you find it hard to identify with the protagonist's fear when he's being chased by a beautiful woman.

DokkenRokken

Banned
Apr 7, 2014
I agree, I can't stomach watching T3 again, but Salvation was alright. Which is the problem, being just 'alright'.

As for just leaving it alone, I think there are interesting stories to be found. The problem is continually trying to tie into John and Sarah Connor with new actors. Tell the tale from different perspectives, thus preserving what the actors in the first 2 did. Tell goddamn future war properly, which I think Salvation was trying to. And above all, keep it adult and hard R!

I'm a sucker for time travel movies, and Terminator is mostly responsible for that in my life. I'm also a sucker for the Alien franchise, again thanks to Cameron as Aliens was the first I saw (one of the best theater experiences I've ever had). Point is, I'll wade into whatever these franchises throw at me, but they're not going to ruin what I like best about them.

The thing is, "Terminator 2" should've never been made. If you follow the story and the rules of the first film, then there shouldn't have been anything else after Part 1. Now, that being said, I'm glad they DID make a sequel because it's one of the best movies of all time.

I guess I get why they do it (MONEY OF COURSE!), but it just doesn't make sense. You can make sequels and reboots to anything, but when it comes to the CLASSIC titles, they almost always fail, and expectedly so. I don't care who you throw in there to play these roles or what additions you make, the reboot is going to fail, because you can't do better than the first two. (Perfect examples of this are anything Michael Bay decides to reboot and destroy, etc)

As for the "Aliens" franchise, don't get me started.

I've always wondered how Part 3 would've turned out had they let David Fincher make the film he wanted to make, instead of letting the studio run rampant? I'd love a REAL sequel to "Aliens" but I'm afraid it's too late, seeing how old Weaver is now. It's bad enough they continue to ruin every "Aliens" video game and "Predator" movie they churn out.... ugh.

A big problem with T3 is that you find it hard to identify with the protagonist's fear when he's being chased by a beautiful woman.

Nah, the problem was the HORRIFIC acting and how bad Arnold looked. (I still can't believe they hired Nick Stahl. He was so awful.)

That and all the cheesy humor.

David Pannozzo

Mar 6, 2012
I picked Safe Cracker, I really want that game badly. Also I am really Pissed somebody put up a PC catalog of the games out and two that are coming out, so unfortunatly I know what's coming next month and what the Stern game is. I won't spoil it for any of you, like i got a spoiler, I love not knowing what table comes out the next month until they announce it. At least I don't know what the last game is and I want to keep it that way, I didn't mention that it was up their. I do hope the Stern game is wrong though because I really want Roller Coaster Tycoon, I'm done that's all I'm going to say, and I think Farsight deleted the persons post, but I am still really angry the person did that.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I've always wondered how Part 3 would've turned out had they let David Fincher make the film he wanted to make, instead of letting the studio run rampant?

Oh, I'll get you started! Fincher was hired 2 weeks before they started filming, so it's not like he had some grand vision for the project. The 'wooden planet' script got tossed, but the sets were already built, so everything just had to be shoehorned in so the pieces would kinda fit. That being said, I've never had much of a problem with Alien 3. Alien Resurrection on the other hand...

I honestly don't need Sigourney for another Alien movie. Her story is told, move on. I did really like Prometheus, logic flaws and all, but again I don't feel it's necessary to tie everything together. Watching the feature length documentaries on that and Alien 3 are fascinating, because you can see where certain decisions make or break the movies. With Prometheus, the fact that it wasn't until they were in post production they decided this wasn't LV 421, but a different place, just makes you scratch your head.

Anyway, enough of me derailing this thread, as I can talk on this subject all day!

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts