Starship Troopers Thread

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
This recreation is very difficult.

To get a planet kill all the bugs by hitting standups. then you either start nuke multiball by hitting left saucer, or attack the next planet. after nuking all planets you get the wizard mode. In nuke multiball, aim for ramps, orbits, and the sliding target. get them all for a super nuke. then do it again.

shoot both ramps to light a recon level. the higher your recon level the better the awards picked from. they are always the same 4 to choose from for each level. Recon level 5 is the best, because six will usually pick 25 million, though it can also award the other stuff (extra ball or free wizard mode).

To start orbit multiball shoot lit orbits. once you shoot enough of them, it will start. each orbit is 5 million during orbit multiball and the first two add balls. orbits are lit by the inlanes and by the light orbits recon award. If you are good at the orbits and recovering from the kickout, this multiball can really score big.

To start normal multiball keep hitting that pushback target until the hole is revealed, and shoot the ball in. then shoot ramps until it opens up to shoot for the super jackpot. repeat.

That right outlane is EVIL.

Watch out for that brain bug. it's a drain shot. This is totally true to life. i call it the Drain Bug. :)

Even the standard goals are challenging on this table, and the wizard goals live up to their name.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
Don't go for Nuke (Planet) Multiball one planet at a time! Stack them. Even 2 stacked gets 2.5M base jackpot and 25M super jackpot. 5 stacked nets 12M base nuke jackpot and 120M super jackpot - that's more than twice the award for destroying Klendathu!

David T. Melnick

Jul 23, 2014
i'm rubbish at this so far, my best score (of about 20 goes) is 105M for 21 points. i'm still trying to get used to what the idea is, i didn't go through all the rules yet but i think basically shoot the coloured standups to get the numbers to zero and move to the next planet. i don't understand about locking balls yet, or multiballs (is one MB started by lots of orbits, and the other by repeatedly hitting that orange thing left of centre?)

what about you lot? how on earth do you use the mini flipper button properly (i use ipad, it doesn't feel very natural) and where do you position it?
what strategy do you million.?

it seems this is the only thread so far as they didn't make a forum for the game yet, so plonk those tips in here fellas.
____
I congratulate you for your scores. My hi is a little below 74

masterthes

Apr 12, 2014
This a tough sucker. I don't know how much replay I'll give this one. That third flipper is annoying me. Better off just eliminating it. What real purpose does it have that you can't make the shot with the regular right flipper?

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
bugs squashed by the mini flip count double. also flipping with the mini flip from a trap on the big flipper gets you a free nuke shot.

Nolan

Jan 19, 2014
Put the vestigial mutant flipper on R2 of my DS4, and have the timing of the flipper pass -> right flipper down now and I can roll it up and hit stuff reliably.

Also mixed the sound 40% SFX and 100% music to make it sound better.

Liking it a lot better now that I cracked 300 mill, of course I ran into that stupid bug where the "enter your initials" ui stays up too long and your scores dont submit, so it still only says 260 mill, but I am still warming up to it.

IGoFirstIndy

Jul 12, 2014
This table is a hot mess, but I kinda like it.

It's a nice change of pace from what we've had so far in Season 4. Any table with Michael Ironside yelling at me is an Insta-buy.

Sound is garbled though.

TomL

Mar 12, 2013
Feel free to talk about it with the community if you need to.

tumblr_lwezdiT5Dx1qzgjfco1_500.gif

"I said Insta-Buy!"

Captain B. Zarre

Apr 16, 2013
Music and sounds are terrible. They're very muffled and sometimes impossible to make out.

I believe BSD and HRC also suffer from this problem, but even in those tables the difference in volume isn't apparent. Here the sound quality is just all over the place. If FarSight can fix this soon I'd be thankful.

Extork

Mar 14, 2013
Glad to hear that the sound difference isn't just me. Loving this table though.

Going for the ramp skill shot is a must. It's supposed to award 5mil the first time, but it's been awarding 10mil every time. Which is great, yeah. Can anyone else confirm this? Yes, it's really really tough, but if you plunge it a tiny bit lighter, and don't let it come to a complete trap, it's a bit easier.

Literally laughed when I pushed both flippers at once when the dude was giving me the run-down just after I advanced planets.

p6800

May 17, 2013
This table took 5 weeks, longer than "normal". Ok, christmas, new year etc. But i can't believe that close to the end the people with the last word said "yeah, it's ok, ship it like this!"
It feels wrong and it sounds wrong on pc.

No, i could't do better, but when things are subpar, we must let them know. The pile of tables is growing, and all of them have major issues that are never fixed or improved. Bad sound, bad art, bad colors, bad physics etc.

I feel things are at a point where everything is lost. There should be a TPA2 with re-re-releases made from scratch, with LONGER development time between tables, on a new engine. If pinball will be "preserved" the way it is now in TPA1, the future will be disaponited.

Last edited:

Biff

Sep 18, 2012
Music and sounds are terrible. They're very muffled and sometimes impossible to make out.

I think the volume of the "Jackpot" clip is lower than the rest, if I remember this
correctly. This is really annoying when you score a Jackpot and you only hear a soft "jackpot". :)

Michael DiFilippo

Mar 26, 2012
Sound quality is hit or miss these days. SST definitely has a strange audio quality issue on pc. Just cycle through the tables from season 4 and compare, eg. PZ has more stereo effects.

Pinballwiz45b

Aug 12, 2012
Sound quality is hit or miss these days. SST definitely has a strange audio quality issue on pc. Just cycle through the tables from season 4 and compare, eg. PZ has more stereo effects.

I heard that SEGA Showcase games, including Starship Troopers, only used one speaker instead of two. That may explain the audio issues.

While I tested Starship Troopers during beta phase, sounds were pretty muffled to me. Now, they seem more crisp than during that phase.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.