Table Pack 20 Announced! Cue Ball Wizard™ and El Dorado City of Gold™

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmmagnetic

May 29, 2012
That pitch-bend guitar made me laugh for some reason. So goofy :rolleyes:

If anything, the horseshoe lane + the cue ball might be fun gimmicks to shoot for.

MontanaFrank

Dec 19, 2012
according to IPD the cue ball was an operator option. I imagine all operators included the option ?

I've never seen one without the cue ball. Thanks for pointing out that was an operators option. If I had bought one for profit, I would have put the cue ball in even though I'm not fond of it. That is the one thing that makes this table unique and the probable reason that this table sold well.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Even the worst pinball is better than no pinball.

I still have my copy of Microsoft Pinball Arcade, and despite the fact you couldn't aim for crap, especially on CBW, I played it a bunch. Why? Because it was the only pinball game available to me that featured real tables. If you don't like the table pack, fine. Complaining that it's not 8 Ball Deluxe or some other table entirely is not gonna change the fact that this is what is coming out. Enjoy or go without a new table for another month. Your choice.

Ask yourself this though...at today's typical pricing of 50 cents a play, do you not think you could get 5 plays worth of enjoyment out of this and 5 out of El Dorado? I know it takes me around 10 plays just to figure out the quirks of a table, so there's the cost right there for me. If the tables are part of a future tournament, are you going to handicap your entry because you don't have certain tables?

Even the tables I loathe, Goin' Nuts and Big Shot and Central Park, I still play. Why? Because it's pinball first and foremost, second because since I don't play them often there is a certain challenge to them, and three because they reignite the passion for the tables I do love. I just don't understand the outright hatred.

goo_back

Oct 28, 2013
It never would've sold 5000 units if that was the case.

Because people didn't like it in the arcade I was at? Okay.

It's a whopping #221st on Pinside with a 6.8 average. I understand you'll be pleased with whatever table comes out, but this table is far from great. The video modes are some of the worst and tacked on I have ever played.

Might as well have gone with Hollywood Heat.

Whatever I'm happy they are getting the not popular games out of the way. It's just a really bad way to end this season. I will still obviously play them, just disappointed.

Last edited:

mmmagnetic

May 29, 2012
Even the worst pinball is better than no pinball.

Even the tables I loathe, Goin' Nuts and Big Shot and Central Park, I still play. Why? Because it's pinball first and foremost, second because since I don't play them often there is a certain challenge to them, and three because they reignite the passion for the tables I do love. I just don't understand the outright hatred.

I agree. I´ve always gotten at least SOME enjoyment out of every single one of the TPA tables - I guess that´s probably because the basic pinball rules still apply.

While both upcoming tables don´t look all that exciting to me (at first glance, at least), I see TPA more as a sort of virtual pinball museum that should cover all kinds of styles, manufacturers and eras.

For example, I never really liked Pin*Bot. A lot of people however do seem to love it and it´s an important game in pinball history. Games like Flight 2000 or Centaur are tables I had to learn to enjoy, but once it clicked they became quite fun for me.

Captain B. Zarre

Apr 16, 2013
Cue Ball Wizard is an important table. It was actually the Premier table with the highest production run. If TAF is to W/B, CBW is to Premier.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
I understand you'll be pleased with whatever table comes out

Not really, but this isn't a bad table. Not great, but still good.

Sorry your particular arcade didn't care for it, but many others did. Sure, it can't hold a candle to the best (several of which we already have), but it's still worth playing.

Last edited:

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
The original El Dorado (EM version with same playfield layout) is #30 on IPDB's Top EM list and #7 at Pinside, so that's very respectable. It's quite a solid layout.

night

May 18, 2012
Still recovering from the last table pack, this aint gonna be my piece of cake. El Dorado seems fun if it was a 1 euro something Zaccaria table with 100 times better graphics, but since this is not the case I don't see myself playing €4,49 for it. CBW, well I hope it will make some folks happy. As I wrote before, I doubt this will bring in the cash for FarSight, a table pack like this is as sexy as the hairy legs of an old grandma.. (unless you're into stuff like that).

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
Well - I've just tried the beta trial test, and I'm cured of my TPA completionism quirk.
Man - CBW sucks. I don't need pack 20.

Oh well - only 2 wks till Dr Strange.

Russell Bergman

Feb 29, 2012
I am looking forward to the improved gameplay and graphics on El Dorado City of Gold from the PSP Hall of Fame Gottlieb Collection. Cue Ball Wizard is a lot of fun and has addicting gameplay. I've played the live version of Cue Ball Wizard, and there are some challenging shots and great replay value! Don't get me wrong, it's not one of my all time favorite tables, but it's more than worth the $5-$8 pack price!

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
It's time for the Rowdy Ramp Round.

I've played CBW in VP and IRL, it's not a bad table but man was i hoping EBD would be the table that was hinted at. Whatevs though, in for a penny in for a pound.

I'm excited for El Dorado (I can't wait till people say they have ED on the forums, this is going to be fun), as I've never played it ever, and love a good EM anyway. As much as I love a 90s DMD, i can't help but feel that an EM machine IS pinball, pure pinball.

I don't have any hate for CBW, and it will certainly get some playtime, but it's not the star of this pack for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts