Table pack #40 speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaibun

Sep 21, 2014
Seriously, why does it have to be a Gottlieb? Just put in HS2 in there so this season doesn't end in a disappointment.

Espy

Sep 9, 2013
Seriously, why does it have to be a Gottlieb? Just put in HS2 in there so this season doesn't end in a disappointment.

It would be the first season to not have a Gottlieb in it. And the first to not have a table from the four manufacturer licenses Farsight has. Any guesses at Farsight being contractually obligated to include a table from each manufacturer would just be speculation, but it certainly does seem that they want to at least touch base with each of the four each season.

I personally don't mind Gottliebs, but I'd rather have a few oddball, wildcard or even "filler" tables each season to make the big hitters last longer. Just think, if it was just Williams and Bally, three years in we'd be looking forward to Popeye and Bugs Bunny's Birthday Bash. I see the fact that we still have a few big DMDs to look forward to as a good thing.

Sean

Jun 13, 2012
A lot of rights contracts do depend upon use, so although speculative, it would be a reason to ensure there's at least one, lest they need to re-negotiate a large number of tables.

I think the Premier tables are okay, at least Teed Off and Cue Ball Wizard, but some of the tables look cheap and nasty: Lights, Camera Action is quite egregious and Class of 1812 isn't much better. Black Hole and Haunted House are the newest tables I'd say are pretty solid compared with contemporaries; otherwise you'd have to go back to the EM era (still hoping for Ace High in the future).

I generally trust the feelings of people on this board. I've got enough newer tables and would be happy with an entire season of quality solid state and EM machines, but the only tables I've skipped so far are Starship Troopers and Party Zone. I can't imagine anything will be as bad as Lights Camera Action, whatever they do next!

jbejarano

Jul 6, 2012
I wouldn't be shocked if we didn't see a Gottlieb this season. A lot of the Gottlieb's they'd have chosen got made while they were still renogotiating with Williams. Honestly, most of Gottlieb's best tables when compared with other tables made at the same time are back in the Electro-Mechanical era. While I'd love to see a few more pure EM's like Big Shot, I understand they don't sell as well. So with this in mind, it wouldn't surprise me if we skipped Gottlieb this season.

chinzman93

Jul 1, 2013
It won't be a DMD.

I'm expecting either Eight Ball Deluxe or Paragon

I would greatly prefer EBD, but I would suspect Paragon. During the Twitch feed they displayed a Paragon logo over the XEON logo as a "joke". I wouldn't be surprised if they already had the table purchased, and that is why there was a second poll in hopes that it would beat out XENON. But I am a conspiracy theorist.....:cool:

Nessie-pic-300x245.jpg

Last edited:

The Night Flier

Jun 10, 2014
I would greatly prefer EBD, but I would suspect Paragon. During the Twitch feed they displayed a Paragon logo over the XEON logo as a "joke". I wouldn't be surprised if they already had the table purchased, and that is why there was a second poll in hopes that it would beat out XENON. But I am a conspiracy theorist.....:cool:

Yeah they tried to rig the poll towards Paragon(based on that alone i'm glad Xenon won).Dunno when exactly but i think it is safe to say that Paragon is en route, only a question of time.

invitro

May 4, 2012

Did you know that Richard Nixon invented solid-state pinball to keep the public's mind off Vietnam and Watergate?

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
Did you know that Richard Nixon invented solid-state pinball to keep the public's mind off Vietnam and Watergate?

Everybody knows that.

But did you know George HW Bush invented the DMD to keep the public's mind off the first Gulf War, and that he had the manufacturers code subliminal anti-broccoli messages into the displays?

invitro

May 4, 2012
Everybody knows that.

But did you know George HW Bush invented the DMD to keep the public's mind off the first Gulf War, and that he had the manufacturers code subliminal anti-broccoli messages into the displays?
Given that Bush's public support rating was over 90% after the Gulf War, it seems unlikely that he'd want to take attention away from it :).

I always suspected those Don't Use Drugs messages were really about vegetables.

invitro

May 4, 2012
It would be the first season to not have a Gottlieb in it. And the first to not have a table from the four manufacturer licenses Farsight has. Any guesses at Farsight being contractually obligated to include a table from each manufacturer would just be speculation, but it certainly does seem that they want to at least touch base with each of the four each season.

I personally don't mind Gottliebs, but I'd rather have a few oddball, wildcard or even "filler" tables each season to make the big hitters last longer. Just think, if it was just Williams and Bally, three years in we'd be looking forward to Popeye and Bugs Bunny's Birthday Bash. I see the fact that we still have a few big DMDs to look forward to as a good thing.

If "inexpensive" DMDs became possible, there might be a lot more big DMDs remaining than you think, if big means good :). And there are dozens, maybe hundreds, of great Williams/Bally unlicensed pre-DMD tables left.

I would love to see Popeye, if only because I've rarely played it. Not Bugs Bunny, though.

I'm not really opposed to any manufacturer in general except Sega after Frankenstein and maybe new-Stern before say RBION.

Captain B. Zarre

Apr 16, 2013
If "inexpensive" DMDs became possible, there might be a lot more big DMDs remaining than you think, if big means good :). And there are dozens, maybe hundreds, of great Williams/Bally unlicensed pre-DMD tables left.

I would love to see Popeye, if only because I've rarely played it. Not Bugs Bunny, though.

I'm not really opposed to any manufacturer in general except Sega after Frankenstein and maybe new-Stern before say RBION.

The entire reason Popeye is hated so much is because of how often the game breaks down; the upper playfield can be quite faulty, the elevator kicker can fail to kick the ball out, the Bluto scoop may not register, etc...

Bugs Bunny is absolutely terrible. Trust me, NO pinball fan - casual or otherwise - wants a randomly activated 50 million point shot.

So judging by pre-RBION Stern... does that mean you hate Lord of the Rings and Simpsons Pinball Party? :(

David T. Melnick

Jul 23, 2014
Given that Bush's public support rating was over 90% after the Gulf War, it seems unlikely that he'd want to take attention away from it :).

I always suspected those Don't Use Drugs messages were really about vegetables.
----
Yeah...as in: caterpillars & mushrooms eh. 💃😁

invitro

May 4, 2012
So judging by pre-RBION Stern... does that mean you hate Lord of the Rings and Simpsons Pinball Party? :(

You're making me nervous... No.... I've never even seen a LotR or TSPP! (Well maybe once or twice at an auction, but I didn't play them.)

Oops, I have the date of RBIoN one year off in my little file! I meant to really dislike Austin Powers, HRC, and well, just those two I guess... I'm sorta OK with Monopoly (played that one a ton), never played RC Tycoon or T3 or Striker Xtreme, barely played Playboy and Sharkey's... let's just forget what I said, ok? :)

I do have let's say a deep distrust of modern Stern, based on them being the continuation of Sega, and on having played and hated X-Men, Rolling Stones (2011), and maybe Iron Man and Avengers and others at auctions (those tables seemed so boring I can barely remember them), and of being offended by the MS Paint art style of many of the ones I haven't played... and those gawdawful dots...

I do very badly want to find a way to play the most acclaimed Sterns several times and give them a fair shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts