Terminator 2 Kickstarter BEGINNING NOW!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rudy

Sep 13, 2012
Hmm, now what then? If the goal is reached then it's now impossible for anyone to backtrack their pledges to make it go under the funding.

There's no reason to really fund the table more without a stretch goal, considering that you'll be able to get the table for £8/$10 now, so lets just hope that it isn't someone who thought he was trolling the community only to end up with a huge hole in his bank account.

sotie

Aug 30, 2012
I really hope that donation is real. I wonder if anything can be done to verify/confirm it. If people stop contributing now this could get pulled at the last minute then the campaign would fail.

warh0g

Jan 3, 2013
I hope this is not someone trying to ruin the Kickstarter by pulling out at the end. If this is legit, this is awesome!

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
Hmm, now what then? If the goal is reached then it's now impossible for anyone to backtrack their pledges to make it go under the funding.

There's no reason to really fund the table more without a stretch goal, considering that you'll be able to get the table for £8/$10 now, so lets just hope that it isn't someone who thought he was trolling the community only to end up with a huge hole in his bank account.

Is that right? I didn't know you couldn't withdraw a pledge to put it under. I am yet to donate and I still intend to. I do like the rewards and I also like to do my part to support it, regardless of how successful it is. I also am confident that the overage will be put towards a license (licenses?) and whatever makes it easier to reach some of those with a smaller kickstarter, or ideally NO kickstarter in the future will be great.

Byte

Nov 11, 2012
Can FS confirm this being a legitimate credit card please? People that were waiting till the end to see if they should or not may not donate if the goal has been reached... but then turn out to be needed.

Sumez

Nov 19, 2012
I don't see this $9,500 pledge you guys are talking about, it's still at ~49,500.
Sorry to ruin your fun

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
I don't see this $9,500 pledge you guys are talking about, it's still at ~49,500.
Sorry to ruin your fun

Yup. It got backed out. Probably some troll with nothing better to do than use an invalid credit card or something.

Apr 8, 2012
Is that right? I didn't know you couldn't withdraw a pledge to put it under. I am yet to donate and I still intend to. I do like the rewards and I also like to do my part to support it, regardless of how successful it is. I also am confident that the overage will be put towards a license (licenses?) and whatever makes it easier to reach some of those with a smaller kickstarter, or ideally NO kickstarter in the future will be great.

This is from the Kickstarter terms of use (http://www.kickstarter.com/terms-of-use):

Backers may increase, decrease, or cancel their pledge at any time during the fundraising campaign, except that they may not cancel or reduce their pledge if the campaign is in its final 24 hours and the cancellation or reduction would drop the campaign below its goal.

- I've been concerned about a backer pulling out near the end all along given the number of haters I've seen here and in the Kickstarter comments, some of which were actively saying they wanted it to fail.

Sumez

Nov 19, 2012
Yup. It got backed out. Probably some troll with nothing better to do than use an invalid credit card or something.

All credit cards on Kickstarter are checked with the bank. Or, at least they have no reason not to, so I'm 100% certain that they do. You can't just input any dumb number that's a valid code.

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
All credit cards on Kickstarter are checked with the bank. Or, at least they have no reason not to, so I'm 100% certain that they do. You can't just input any dumb number that's a valid code.

Yes, it does have to be valid but I am guessing there is a two stage check. First the system probably just simply verifies the number is a valid number for that type of card. Then if that happens, the system will attempt a small $1 authorization. If the billing zip, CCV, expiration or anything else doesn't work, or it does not authorize for that amount it would auto-delete the donation. I imagine for larger amounts it may do a larger authorization?

Sumez

Nov 19, 2012
Yes, it does have to be valid but I am guessing there is a two stage check. First the system probably just simply verifies the number is a valid number for that type of card. Then if that happens, the system will attempt a small $1 authorization. If the billing zip, CCV, expiration or anything else doesn't work, or it does not authorize for that amount it would auto-delete the donation. I imagine for larger amounts it may do a larger authorization?

Well, how credit card authorizations work is that you authorize a specific amount. This amount is always checked with the clearing house. If the card is invalid, expired, or has been closed, it will obviously fail - other things that can go wrong is if you're out of credit (I guess most banks would have a maximum?), or the card is a debit card that's only allowed to charge as much as you have left on your bank account. If any of this fails, it will be visible to Kickstarter immediately.
Now, once this amount has been cleared, the recepient of your money (Kickstarter I guess) is guaranteed to be able to withdraw any amount up to the given amount, for, I think, 14 days or so? The duration possibly depends on the bank or clearing house.

In short, there's no reason to authorize only $1, that gives no promise that you have enough credit, and they can't legally charge you a larger amount later on (when the kickstarter succeeds) without you manually approving it again.

I might have gotten some details wrong, but this is my experience from having done a lot of work with this kind of stuff at my day job. :)

StarDust4Ever

Jun 30, 2013
GOAL REACHED!!!

Someone just donated $9,500.

:cool:

I had to look at it about 5 times before my brain registered what my eyes saw!
One 9500 level 3 only for the private virtual tournament. 1 backer just put it over. Hoping that does not get yanked last minute else it could ruin this. Hope people keep going! Big nods like that both excite and scare.
I'm not seeing it.

I really hope that donation is real. I wonder if anything can be done to verify/confirm it. If people stop contributing now this could get pulled at the last minute then the campaign would fail.
Nope.

And it's gone :(
Shucks, you beat me.

It would have been funny if the phat sum had showed up on the kicktraq site, though. Nothing to see here, moving on...

Last edited:

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
Well, how credit card authorizations work is that you authorize a specific amount. This amount is always checked with the clearing house. If the card is invalid, expired, or has been closed, it will obviously fail - other things that can go wrong is if you're out of credit (I guess most banks would have a maximum?), or the card is a debit card that's only allowed to charge as much as you have left on your bank account. If any of this fails, it will be visible to Kickstarter immediately.
Now, once this amount has been cleared, the recepient of your money (Kickstarter I guess) is guaranteed to be able to withdraw any amount up to the given amount, for, I think, 14 days or so? The duration possibly depends on the bank or clearing house.

In short, there's no reason to authorize only $1, that gives no promise that you have enough credit, and they can't legally charge you a larger amount later on (when the kickstarter succeeds) without you manually approving it again.

I might have gotten some details wrong, but this is my experience from having done a lot of work with this kind of stuff at my day job. :)

That's what I deal with all day. We have the very 2 step system I detailed. The reason I mentioned $1 is that is the amount I was authorized for sometime after pledging to previous kickstarters and the attempt for the full amount was not done until sometime after the campaign ended (within about 24-48 hours).

sotie

Aug 30, 2012
That's what I deal with all day. We have the very 2 step system I detailed. The reason I mentioned $1 is that is the amount I was authorized for sometime after pledging to previous kickstarters and the attempt for the full amount was not done until sometime after the campaign ended (within about 24-48 hours).

It might be a little different because Kickstarter pledges go through Amazon Payments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.