timeframe on dx11

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaneus

Mar 26, 2012
Rest assured guys: the beta is coming along very nicely thanks to Mike's hard work, and seeing these tables in dark mode with the flashers and GI going is a real treat. I'm finding myself sometimes losing track of the ball because I'm dazzled by the lights, and that's something that's never happened for me in TPA, but does happen on real pins...so that's pretty awesome.
Any word on when the likely release of it is? Before the next table or will we likely have another 3-4 weeks to wait?

Crazy Newt

Dec 2, 2012
The new camera angles and updated lighting effects will make it much easier to spot the ball as it flies through and out of the table on Black Knight. Can't wait.

AshleyAshes

Jun 27, 2012
http://www.steamspy.com/app/238260

Since TPA is technically 'Free' SteamSpy's results wouldn't give an accurate representation of sales it's interesting to see that at least 8000 people have played the game on Steam over the last 2 weeks. And, if I'm reading it right, the players got 3hr57min of enjoyment on average out of the game in the last two weeks.

TheSlayerNL

Nov 5, 2013
http://www.steamspy.com/app/238260

Since TPA is technically 'Free' SteamSpy's results wouldn't give an accurate representation of sales it's interesting to see that at least 8000 people have played the game on Steam over the last 2 weeks. And, if I'm reading it right, the players got 3hr57min of enjoyment on average out of the game in the last two weeks.

And what does that have to do with Direct X11?

Crawley

Mar 25, 2013
Oh, just a shot at the people who proclaim that DX11 is the only way the game can see sales or play by users.

Not to get too sidetracked but Steam Tracker might be better to see the actual total people playing the game: http://steamcharts.com/

Basically have < 100 people playing a day. You can see the jumps in players on table release days. And it will be pretty interesting to see the jump after DX11 is released.

But the chart also indicates the PC user base is pretty small. Which could explain one of the reasons this wasn't priority over the PS4/XB1 releases.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
As one with all tables to Cyclone purchased and 246 hours logged in on the PC version, lack of DX11 never affected me.

Likewise! DX11 is only going to affect how the tables look. Personally I think it's daft to decide you're not going to buy or play a game based solely on how it looks. If it plays great, great! Looks are secondary. (<-- this is probably my cue to run and hide from this thread before the Angry Mob gets me.)

DX11 isn't going to affect gameplay. I'm sure I'll enjoy the dynamic lighting when it arrives, but I'll more likely enjoy the added difficulty of the new "Tournament" settings that are going to start being rolled out.

SilverBalls

Apr 12, 2012
Not to get too sidetracked but Steam Tracker might be better to see the actual total people playing the game: http://steamcharts.com/

Basically have < 100 people playing a day. You can see the jumps in players on table release days. And it will be pretty interesting to see the jump after DX11 is released.

But the chart also indicates the PC user base is pretty small. Which could explain one of the reasons this wasn't priority over the PS4/XB1 releases.

Are those charts realistic? I always play offline - isn't that what most people do? I don't know for sure as I am not a Steam regular.

As for the Steamspy, it says the players total 150k. It that actually the number of downloads?

lio

Jul 24, 2013
Personally I never play offline... permanent connection, no dialup.
Not sure how common this is around the world but I think it's pretty save to assume that at least in Germany most people have a permanent connection and their routers are online 24/7 and so any network PC will just be automatically online unless you intentionally disconnect it or set steam to offline mode.

AshleyAshes

Jun 27, 2012
As for the Steamspy, it says the players total 150k. It that actually the number of downloads?

No, they have different values for that:

Owners: 333,723 ± 24,590
Players total: 152,424 ± 16,625

Keeping in mind that this system works by sampling 100 000 steam users and using math for the rest. That's why they say the numbers for 'Owners' could be plus or minus 24 000, because that's their margin of error. But Owners have the game, players have the game and have fired it up at least once. Though being a FREE game where you just buy most of the tables, it can't be determined through any available means what number of players actually bought anything.

Robert Misner

Oct 4, 2014
I'm pretty sure that steam charts is tracking active concurrent players at any given time, not per day, peak in the last 20mins was 108..
they might be averaging 2000 unique players a day.

Z4LQBsz.png

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Oh, just a shot at the people who proclaim that DX11 is the only way the game can see sales or play by users.

No one ever claimed that. If you don't have anything to contribute specifically to the DX11 conversation, then please stop trying to stir stuff up in this thread. Your "shots" aren't needed and only serve to annoy us who have been patiently waiting.

Last edited:

Megahurtz

Dec 26, 2013
Though being a FREE game where you just buy most of the tables, it can't be determined through any available means what number of players actually bought anything.

I wonder about that. There was some discussion here when TPA launched on Steam and the only way you could purchase tables was in-game via the Steam wallet. The quirk was that Steam doesn't consider you as owning a F2P game unless you purchase some DLC for it from the Steam store. Absent that, if a F2P game was delisted/removed, access to it would be taken away from your account, even if you had previously downloaded and played it.

I don't think that has changed, so I would take those numbers to mean that ~333,000 people have purchased at least a single season pack from Steam (since individual tables are not available from the Steam store).

Anecdotally, I've heard from one indie dev who looked up what SteamSpy estimated his sales at, and the numbers were close enough that he started using it to look up competitor's titles in the same genre.

TheSlayerNL

Nov 5, 2013
I am not a moderator but, really, this topic has derailed so many times, if you want this discussion going on, make your own thread. DX11 stuff in here only, read the bloody title!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts