timeframe on dx11

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deltaechoe

Aug 30, 2013
You guys need to chill your knickers a bit, remember you are still getting what amounts to the best virtual simulation of real tables around. DX11 lighting will come and, to the guy who said it, even as a joke, that class action lawsuit comment was in poor taste.

R

Rhandos

You guys need to chill your knickers a bit, remember you are still getting what amounts to the best virtual simulation of real tables around. DX11 lighting will come and, to the guy who said it, even as a joke, that class action lawsuit comment was in poor taste.
It was an obvious joke riffing on the impatience and sometimes outright entitled behavior of some fans that I witnessed here and on Facebook. I'll add sarcasm tags next time, guess the smiley wasn't enough.

pm1109

Dec 18, 2013
Any idea if the DX11 update will be coming in the next 6 months or so or am I being too optimistic
Maybe next year is a safer option

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
I don't know. At the beginning of the year it sounded like it's just around the corner. but seeing what is done with newer tables I doubt it. It's looks more like they are doing more "fake" lighting, which looks ok and may deliver a better performance on more systems. I'm not even sure how the advanced lighting is done on the ps4. Is it real time already? if the have to remodel every light source on the tables in addition to a substantial change of the engine it might take a while. I just hope they do it right.

I hope it's not an inappropriate suggestion, but FS please take a look at what can be done in the settings of Unit3D pinball (free for download). It doesn't have to be that excessive, but a few sliders here and there to customize lighting and or bloom etc. would make a lot of people happy and they could have the visuals as they prefer.

Last edited:

swift

Apr 7, 2014
I don't think it's that much work, it's already done on ps4. It's just a matter of bringing it to PC, unless they want to do something more.
Right now the lighting is rather unimpressive, especially visible on "high speed" as the lights go out on that table.

I don't get why the ps4 gets the better lighting first. Instead of the PC, which is the most powerful platform.

Longi

May 30, 2013
I don't get why the ps4 gets the better lighting first. Instead of the PC, which is the most powerful platform.

I don't get why the PS & xBox-versions have no portrait view.
I don't get why the iOS/Android-versions have some.
I don't get why the PC-version are so far behind and have no cab/2screen mode...

I think it's because of every platform needs his selling point for a moment.
There is no version which have all included :--(
What a pitty

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
I don't get why the PS & xBox-versions have no portrait view.
I don't get why the iOS/Android-versions have some.
I don't get why the PC-version are so far behind and have no cab/2screen mode...

I think it's because of every platform needs his selling point for a moment.
There is no version which have all included :--(
What a pitty

Can you please explain how the PC version is so far behind? Last night I posted a video of me playing the PC version of high speed in portrait mode, no less.

Personally I can't see myself rotating my 50" plasma screen 90 degrees. I'm sure this is a pretty common thing since a lot of consoles are connected to larger screens. It would be awesome to have the option but that is most likely the reasoning.

As for mobiles. They all support auto screen rotation, it only makes perfect sense to have portrait mode.

Biff

Sep 18, 2012
I don't think it's that much work, it's already done on ps4. It's just a matter of bringing it to PC, unless they want to do something more.
Right now the lighting is rather unimpressive, especially visible on "high speed" as the lights go out on that table.

PS4 doesn't use DX11 and doesn't have all tables. I think only season 1.
If they have to redo lighting individually on every single table, this could take a while.
How many tables do we have on the PC ... I'm too lazy to count right now .. let's say 48.

PS4 first, because Sony gave FS the possibility to have a lauch title to make good money.

Longi

May 30, 2013
Can you please explain how the PC version is so far behind? Last night I posted a video of me playing the PC version of high speed in portrait mode, no less.

Personally I can't see myself rotating my 50" plasma screen 90 degrees. I'm sure this is a pretty common thing since a lot of consoles are connected to larger screens. It would be awesome to have the option but that is most likely the reasoning.

As for mobiles. They all support auto screen rotation, it only makes perfect sense to have portrait mode.

Hi superballs,

the PC-Version depends on the xBox-Version right?
So the PS-Versions got some lightning update and looks more beautiful in my opinion.
I am jealous about that.
Okay the PC-Version got the portrait view since an update.
But why not the Console-Versions?
If so than it would be possible to build a Pinballcabinet with it.
Now you have to switch to the PC-Version with the poor physics/graphics at the moment.

That's sad because i only want to build a V-Pin with the best result.
Finally no Version is the best and have all features.
Do you understand that?

Timelord

Oct 29, 2012
Farsight has stated that they used to use the XBox 360 to develop on, but have switched to the PC starting Season 3, so the PC version no longer depends on the XBox version. All Season 3 release screenshots are now from the PC version, the XBox 360 is no longer used for these either. Farsight has also stated that they feel that the PC is the definitive version

Choice of the individual end user is up to them; it's a very personal choice. I have played on XBox 360, PS4, Android and PC. My personal choice is PC, but that's based on my personal needs; I can play TPA using a controller with comfortable buttons (I have arthritic hands) while my wife is watching Television.

That's the beauty of TPA, one gets to choose.

Timelord ...

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
I know I shouldn't watch these, but I can't wait till Christmas
http://youtu.be/G3hkbjB-hTc

Be careful! german speaking. But nice ps4 gameplay and those awesome graphics my pc/ cab is crying for every night.

Biff

Sep 18, 2012

Carl Spiby

Feb 28, 2012
I know this is really really critical but its a shame that on big shot, when the drop targets are down, more light doesn't spill into the playfield from the insert lights behind.

Shaneus

Mar 26, 2012
Every time I see this thread... I know new platforms like Xbox One and such keep getting announced, and there are always new tables to release and bugs to fix and features to add to existing platforms, but you have to wonder why there hasn't been any progress made (or at least announced to us) on the updated lighting front for PC users. Wouldn't be so bad if the PS4 version's Australian price was in-line with the US (let alone it missing the update which gives it the proper sounds), but as it is I really can't justify spending money for all tables across three platforms when there's literally no definitive version on any platform at this point in time:

iOS (purchased all tables):
+All tables
+Gets tables first
-No advanced lighting effects or models

PC (purchased all tables):
+All tables
+Gets tables same time
+Cab version to come
+Portrait view
-No advanced lighting effects (still!)

PS4 (purchased none):
+Advanced lighting
-Mobile-quality sound
-Fewer tables
-Australian (and other regions?) pricing

PS3 (purchased one or two packs, base pack via PS+):
+Almost all tables
+Vita version included
+/-Mega-patch (only for US)
+/-3D (only for US)
-AU/Euro pricing

Can't comment on the Android version. I know it has higher-poly models and higher quality textures (I think) but I can't comment on anything else as I don't have a decent spec device to try it on.

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
Every time I see this thread... I know new platforms like Xbox One and such keep getting announced, and there are always new tables to release and bugs to fix and features to add to existing platforms, but you have to wonder why there hasn't been any progress made (or at least announced to us) on the updated lighting front for PC users. Wouldn't be so bad if the PS4 version's Australian price was in-line with the US (let alone it missing the update which gives it the proper sounds), but as it is I really can't justify spending money for all tables across three platforms when there's literally no definitive version on any platform at this point in time:

iOS (purchased all tables):
+All tables
+Gets tables first
-No advanced lighting effects or models

PC (purchased all tables):
+All tables
+Gets tables same time
+Cab version to come
+Portrait view
-No advanced lighting effects (still!)

PS4 (purchased none):
+Advanced lighting
-Mobile-quality sound
-Fewer tables
-Australian (and other regions?) pricing

PS3 (purchased one or two packs, base pack via PS+):
+Almost all tables
+Vita version included
+/-Mega-patch (only for US)
+/-3D (only for US)
-AU/Euro pricing

Can't comment on the Android version. I know it has higher-poly models and higher quality textures (I think) but I can't comment on anything else as I don't have a decent spec device to try it on.

Wow. Nice overview. I guess multi platform development is more a thing of theory.

Shaneus

Mar 26, 2012
Unit 3D pinball really isn't far off the ps4 version. Some of the lighting options even leave the ps4 version for dead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WUY42_oddY
That's true, but some of the physics leave a LOT to be desired. At least for the time being... it looks like there's a view to improving it.

PS. You're welcome, mpad :) It's by no means meant to be comprehensive, just a list to backup my justifications for feeling the way I do about releases/features on certain platforms.

I just wish FS would have the guts to say "Okay. Let's just stop expanding our product to different platforms until the others are brought to the standards we promised".

It sucks, because we know they know how to do these things like get advanced lighting working on PC, implement cab support and fix sound issues for various platforms. But they take on new things all the time which stop them from actually finishing anything.

In that regard, FS remind me so much of myself it's downright scary.

Last edited:

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
It sucks, because we know they know how to do these things like get advanced lighting working on PC, implement cab support and fix sound issues for various platforms. But they take on new things all the time which stop them from actually finishing anything.

In that regard, FS remind me so much of myself it's downright scary.

I'm right there with you on that one...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.