Vote for a classic Bally table! (Closed)

Which classic Bally table should FarSight release first?

• 8 Ball Deluxe

Votes: 146 43.5%
  • Centaur

Votes: 153 45.5%
  • Fireball

Votes: 37 11.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
I only know 8 ball and centaur from papa vids. The thing is we already have a pool themed table in Big Shot, what we don't have is a post apocalyptic power orbs table. Centaur is simply a work of art.

Plus we need that early 80s Bally with that... Vibe, that's so unique to early ballys. Fathom has it, xenon has it, centaur is probably the best example of it, but I feel like 8 ball is lacking it. I'm sure 8 ball is a great game and it certainly has tons of support, but I'm crossing my fingers for centaur. Farsight might do something really cool and just give usboth

dtown8532

Apr 10, 2012
I only know 8 ball and centaur from papa vids. The thing is we already have a pool themed table in Big Shot, what we don't have is a post apocalyptic power orbs table. Centaur is simply a work of art.

Plus we need that early 80s Bally with that... Vibe, that's so unique to early ballys. Fathom has it, xenon has it, centaur is probably the best example of it, but I feel like 8 ball is lacking it. I'm sure 8 ball is a great game and it certainly has tons of support, but I'm crossing my fingers for centaur. Farsight might do something really cool and just give usboth

I think they're planning on doing all three. I think FarSight offered this poll for us to pick the first.

Oh, and as far as Bally vibe goes, Flash Gordon has it too but I don't think we're gonna get that one.

Last edited:

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
They're both great in their own way. I'm looking forward to all three, actually. Fireball is a blast too.

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
I asked Mike that. Said it has to do with too many different CPUs were used for each table, meaning they'd have to write a ROM emulation for each one, and it'd maybe cover 2 of the tables they want to do. Instead they'll just put that effort into scripting. Or something like that.

I was looking up parts for my xenon a while ago and I'm almost certain the boards supported multiple games, just different roms.

The CPUs on these are probably less complex than say, an NES I'd imagine. It's worth the work, because scripting just never yields perfect results. I really wish they'd reconsider. Plus can't they use existing emulators (pin mame?) to base Thier work on or is that not allowed?

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
I think they're planning on doing all three. I think FarSight offered this poll for us to pick the first.

Oh, and as far as Bally vibe goes, Flash Gordon has it too but I don't think we're gonna get that one.

I see. Awesome.

He said "short list" of early ballys were planned. So I guess we'll never see xenon , flash gordon, or fathom. But it's cool I'm happy with these choices. Actually Flash Gordon that's a license, right? It sounds like it. Apologies I'm "only" 28 so I don't know.

dtown8532

Apr 10, 2012
I see. Awesome.

He said "short list" of early ballys were planned. So I guess we'll never see xenon , flash gordon, or fathom. But it's cool I'm happy with these choices. Actually Flash Gordon that's a license, right? It sounds like it. Apologies I'm "only" 28 so I don't know.

Yea, FG is a license off a b movie from the same era. It's a cool, and hard, two level pin that's very similar to Steve Ritchie's Black Knight. Ritchie has gone on record (Topcast interview) saying that Claude Fernandez (FG's designer) stole part of Black Knight's design for the table. Especially the left side. Nonetheless, it's a really good table. Check out Bowen's tutorial.

http://pinball.org/videos/tutorials/flash-gordon/

Yea, I have a feeling that Centaur and EBD are the only early SS Bally's that FarSight is planning on right now.

Now, back to Centaur. Go, go, go!

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
What's this about HS2? Did I miss something?!?
(I assume you're talking about The Getaway... I can't think of anything else that "HS2" would be referring to)

Nothing I was just slipping in a request. HS2 is a possibility as per (I think Mike) Farsight on the facebook page a looooooooong loooooooooong time ago when i asked about it and EBD.

I pray every day it will be announced.

In the meantime, I'm going to do some VPing and check out Centaur and Fireball if I can find it.

Chipmunkbbq

Dec 27, 2012
Sharing this just for fun and trivia:
In 1993, Eight Ball Deluxe was released for PC and Mac:

PC video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdfTCyUrgQ0

Mac information:
http://www.littlewingpinball.com/doc/en/gameinfo/eightballdeluxe/index.html

This PC version is the only one of the three I have played. I remember buying it and not
only did you get the software but Amtex gave you a genuine flipper bat with rubber in the package as well (Wow!)..The next table they we're gonna release was .....as per the card inside EBD deluxe was.... Funhouse! I think Amtex went bankrupt so I had to wait til Farsight rolled Funhouse out in, what 2007. I'm pretty sure I still have the software packed away in a box in the basement somewhere. Digital pinball in the home was pretty scarce back in the days; enough of a fix until you could hit the arcades again.

I voted Centaur but any of the three I would be happy with in May/June.

Last edited:

Palmer Eldritch

Dec 17, 2012
short list just what means what's currently being discussed... it's not as though the list of possible tables they will consider is short... just 'at this time'

silverjaguar7

Sep 26, 2012
8 Ball is one of the most fun tables I've played. I went to a pinball convention and had a ton of fun with it. its a very well crafted pin with fun gameplay and an elegant look. a necessary table for any gentleman. in other words, proof is in the play.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I was looking up parts for my xenon a while ago and I'm almost certain the boards supported multiple games, just different roms.

The CPUs on these are probably less complex than say, an NES I'd imagine. It's worth the work, because scripting just never yields perfect results. I really wish they'd reconsider. Plus can't they use existing emulators (pin mame?) to base Thier work on or is that not allowed?

You are correct that multiple boards supported various tables. You'd really have to query Mike Reitmeyer about the exact terminology he used on me, it kinda went over my head! There was also mentioned that because the CPUs ARE so old, they don't sync with modern computers, so they'd have to write an emulation of their emulation to do it. In other words, twice the work for very little gain.

And no, I don't believe they can use Pin Mame, seeing as how it's not exactly licensed is it? But like I said, Mike is the guy that I asked about it, maybe he can pop in and give an appropriately tech answer.

Rudy Yagov

Mar 30, 2012
Wow, looking really close between the top two. Honestly, if the difference is only 8 people, I don't see any reason not to just make both of them. Though, I'm a little disappointed at how poorly Fireball is doing.

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
I remember Fireball being my first multiball experience. Add to that, zipper flippers, another trick I'd never seen before, nor since. The awesome spinning disc did things to the ball that was more exciting than expected. It also was the very first time I saw a skill shot. These four things combined to make one of the most unique experiences in pinball I ever had up to that point.

Unfortunately, 40 years later, multiball and skill-shots are commonplace, spinning discs are annoying, and the zipper flippers... well, I still dig zipper flippers. The table's sparse rules and targets work against itself when compared to 8bd and Centaur. And thus, even though Fireball blew my mind as a child in 1972, as a man-child in 2012, I find its' thin rules lacking. So I just couldn't cast my vote for it.

But once FarSight releases it, you betcha I'm buying it.

Last edited:

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
I just checked out Fireball, it's not a bad little table and it has a very interesting multiball mechanic.

Shame the balls didn't release properly on the VP table i tried because i was enjoying it.

Clawhammer

Nov 1, 2012
A nailbiter! It was a very hard choice for me between EBD and Centaur, but eventually I went with the latter. Fireball is a great EM, but I don't think it would transfer well to TPA.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Holy crap! Has Centaur even been getting new votes? As of this posting, it was only ahead by 4 votes! Man this is gonna be close. Please don't choke, Centaur.

Members online

Members online