will TPA work with iOS7?

sotie

Aug 30, 2012
So who's seeing the worst stuttering on iOS7? My guess is between iPad2, 3 and 4 it will be the 3. The reason is because the iPad 3 is using so much of its processor to drive the retina display it's going to be overtaxed on iOS7. I have a couple of iPad 2's and one iPad 3 here which I haven't updated yet. I've already updated my iPad Mini and I'm seeing minor stuttering/slowdown on the usual tables that have those issues.

TripleT

Sep 23, 2012
I'm going to leave my tired overworked iPad 2 on iOS 6, and pick up an iPad 5. What's the best way to get one around release time? The Apple store? Best Buy? Online? Or will they not sell out that fast?

Vyrastas

Mar 26, 2013
Most odd.. I think I'll remove TPA and try to install the whole circus again, see if that does the thing. Thanks for your reply.

Edit: Re-installed everything, the worst table was Black Hole, which seemed to have improved after re-installing. Still I find the ball movement choppy, not completely smooth as it should be. But way better than before re-installing for sure.

Hmm, not sure what to tell you. I use my iPad 2 primarily for development so I only have a few games on there and no other content, and I frequently close apps I'm not using. Doubt that has anything to do with it, but I'm not having any problems. *shrug*

gsxrboy

Feb 21, 2012
One of the negative effects of iOS7 is seeing the new, refreshed apps with a nice clean look. I doubt we'll ever see a iOS7ified TPA as they will not want to spend development time on a menu refresh for just one platform.

night

May 18, 2012
One of the negative effects of iOS7 is seeing the new, refreshed apps with a nice clean look. I doubt we'll ever see a iOS7ified TPA as they will not want to spend development time on a menu refresh for just one platform.

I thought this is Apple's new policy, developers should make iOS7 icons for their apps.

Vyrastas

Mar 26, 2013
I thought this is Apple's new policy, developers should make iOS7 icons for their apps.

I do wish Farsight would take 5 minutes to fix their icon for TPA... they put a black square border around it, which looks like crap against a light background since the corners are automatically cropped by iOS and you only get the black border on the straight edges. Drop the black border, please, so it looks consistent with other app icons.

Stuart Webster

Apr 24, 2013
It takes a whole release cycle to update the app icon.

The black borders are from the way iOS handles icons -- they use a preset geometry to enforce the shape of the icon and any transparency within the shape becomes black. In this case, the geometry has changed (increased dimensions) for the icons, resulting in black areas. The upcoming update will have a proper icon for iOS 7.

Vyrastas

Mar 26, 2013
It takes a whole release cycle to update the app icon.

The black borders are from the way iOS handles icons -- they use a preset geometry to enforce the shape of the icon and any transparency within the shape becomes black. In this case, the geometry has changed (increased dimensions) for the icons, resulting in black areas. The upcoming update will have a proper icon for iOS 7.

I meant 5 minutes within the cycle, of course. :p

But my bad, I didn't realize they changed the size of the icons in iOS 7 by a few pixels. I didn't notice it wasn't there before since I had a dark background on iOS 6.

Last edited:

heddhunter

Sep 29, 2012
So who's seeing the worst stuttering on iOS7? My guess is between iPad2, 3 and 4 it will be the 3. The reason is because the iPad 3 is using so much of its processor to drive the retina display it's going to be overtaxed on iOS7. I have a couple of iPad 2's and one iPad 3 here which I haven't updated yet. I've already updated my iPad Mini and I'm seeing minor stuttering/slowdown on the usual tables that have those issues.

iPad 3 + iOS 7 here. No stuttering or slowdown that I've noticed.

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012

Another one of my peeve's with Ios7. Everything that's not a main app looks completely out of place.

On topic, I never tested Pinball Arcade on IOS7 with my 4S so I have no idea if it hurt performance. If it did, wow, another reason not to upgrade.

I did however go from 10,000+ Hall of Fame Score and most Wizard Goals done to 0 HoF 0 Goals and 0 leaderboard scores lmao by going back to ios6. And I have ZERO regrets. That's how much I hated it.

Last edited:

Dumpstar

Apr 17, 2012
On topic, I never tested Pinball Arcade on IOS7 with my 4S so I have no idea if it hurt performance. If it did, wow, another reason not to upgrade.

I have a 4s and it works fine. Just the general issues that you must free up other major memory hogs if you want good performance on it (ie if I have tumblr in the background, it will be jittery at times).

vfpcoder

Jul 9, 2012
No problems here with iOS 7 and TPA on my iPad 3.

Now, I have "Background Apps Refresh" turned OFF and "Reduce Motion" (in Accessibility) turned ON. I also have "Bold Text" (also in Accessibility) turned ON.

I have tested every table -- except for Whirlwind -- and they all seem the same as they were under iOS 6.

haj

Sep 28, 2012
I have a 4s and it works fine. Just the general issues that you must free up other major memory hogs if you want good performance on it (ie if I have tumblr in the background, it will be jittery at times).

My 4S with iOS7 is also just fine, I see no performance issue with TPA. Only, in the game the status bar on top (antenna strength, time, battery etc) is displayed in black and it needs to be gone.
Considering 4S's hardware is just about iPad2(actually 4S is tougher for retina res?), I wonder why people are seeing performance issue with iPad2 (because of that I'm not upgrading yet).

tyche

Oct 6, 2012
If it's really okay then I'll go ahead and update my iPad 3 to iOS 7. Can you please play a game of Black Hole to be sure it's okay?

Ipad 3 ios 7 no issues with Black Hole for me. I see no difference in any apps or TPA tables. I do have iCloud and app refresh off which I think are the main reasons other people can see sluggishness sometimes.

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
i regret updating.

Here are the bugs i see.

1) the ios 7.0 status bar at the top now overwrites the pause button.
2) pressing the touch screen too close to the edge results in a delayed flip. this makes the app totally unusuable. :(

Mick Morry

Jun 9, 2013
My Ipad 4 is having zero issues. Black Hole and the other tables are playing great. Zen Pinball, Zaccaria and 16 other pinball apps I own and play all work fine.

I suggest you buy your next Ipad straight from Apples shop. I bought my Ipad 4 from Best Buy and due to I bought the 128 GB model they had to order it in for me. It took nearly 2 weeks for me to get my Ipad. When I ordered my Ipod 3, 4 and 5 from Apple directly--I got them both in 5-6 days. I got my Ipod 5 in the special edition red and had it engraved too. Some of the funds of buying my red edition went to an Aids Africa fund that Apple was donating too. Apple issues you out tracking numbers so you can see where your device is at the moment. I found it interesting that it went from China and then the engraving seemed to happen in Alaska USA as it was shipped there and then to me. Even with the shipping and extras I had done with the engraving, I still got it faster than Best Buy.

The only way to get the special offers and unique looks or added specs on an Iphone, Ipad or Ipod is to buy directly from Apple. They never allow their special custom or limited edition devices to be sold in any store outside of Apples store. All my future Apple devices will be bought from their online store from now on.

Oh...I tested the pause and touching the screen at the very edge of the screen and the flippers worked fine and so did the pause. I tried it on multiple tables and played for over a half hour without a single issue. I love the new 7.0 update.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.