Zaccaria Pinball - Update v1.3

tripleplonq

Dec 3, 2012
...only the metal parts are missing to be head a head in realism with the upcoming Pro Pinball ...

I think the metal parts are good enough and I won't expect more on mobile platforms. Chrome and polished metal surfaces are mainly reflective surfaces or mirrors. This can't be faked in a convincing manner with static textures and a dynamic camera perspective. And today's mobile devices certainly don't have the horsepower to do this by brute force in real time.
Pro Pinball, OTOH is fixed perspective pre rendered images + compositing.
So better don't hold your breath, the dull metal textures are not a result of poor observational skills.

(The dynamic lighting and ball reflection+texture and the physics including ball rotation etc. all playable on iPad 1 type devices is already astonishing)

But I would like to see what kind of eye-candy the ASK team could squeeze out of a PS4.

SonicBrain

May 17, 2013
I think the metal parts are good enough and I won't expect more on mobile platforms. Chrome and polished metal surfaces are mainly reflective surfaces or mirrors. This can't be faked in a convincing manner with static textures and a dynamic camera perspective. And today's mobile devices certainly don't have the horsepower to do this by brute force in real time.
Pro Pinball, OTOH is fixed perspective pre rendered images + compositing.
So better don't hold your breath, the dull metal textures are not a result of poor observational skills.

(The dynamic lighting and ball reflection+texture and the physics including ball rotation etc. all playable on iPad 1 type devices is already astonishing)

But I would like to see what kind of eye-candy the ASK team could squeeze out of a PS4.
I see ... but TPA have beauty metal and chrome , check the ramp on Fire Power and the rail on Star Trek , can be done . But maybe A.S.K graphic engine can't , ( not the designers , they are very talent ) than I understand . But great pinball anyway .... :) Could be better , that's my point .

night

May 18, 2012
I see ... but TPA have beauty metal and chrome , check the ramp on Fire Power and the rail on Star Trek , can be done . But maybe A.S.K graphic engine can't , ( not the designers , they are very talent ) than I understand . But great pinball anyway .... :) Could be better , that's my point .

I think you can get a very realistic feeling of chrome by just texture mapping. Of course it's reflections won't respond to the environment as they will be just static images on a 3D object. But it's not an easy job, chrome is reflection, you have to figure out a texture map that, when wrapped around an object, gives the illusion of reflective chrome.

edit: TPA has good and bad looking chrome, it depends what table you are looking at. TPA looks very slick and polished, bad chrome will be much more obvious on TPA tables. Zaccaria tables are vintage looking, the chrome has been given a dirty metal texture. (And probably for some technical reason).

Last edited:

dagwood

Feb 2, 2013
If it means better physics and overall performance then I vote for flat corroded steel, if I want to play clinically sterile tables then I run TPA ;)

Shaneus

Mar 26, 2012
Oh goodness... all those changes and updates! I cannot wait, absolutely love playing all these old tables. They feel so clunky and heavy and real. Great job, Zsolt and everyone else at ASK! Do not regret buying the gold membership for one second.

norbert26

Apr 21, 2013
it will be a week tomorrow (monday june 17th) if apple is not late i expect it to roll in by tomorrow evening sometime.

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
The new table is fun. Love shooting that spinner shot from the left flipper. So many table options. It will take a long time to go through everything.

SonicBrain

May 17, 2013
Great update ! it's working very well ....and it's the best pinball simulation on IOS ... I just think u guys are charging too cheap a new table ¥85 ! cheaper than an can juice ! ... ¥ 170 are fair in my view .

inspector42

May 27, 2012
So, with GameCenter high scores, is there any reason not to play on arcade with five balls? Seems like the only way to a high score.

inspector42

May 27, 2012
Also, all my Locomotion scores are posting to the Devil Riders GameCenter leaderboard. :\

Devil Riders also posts to Locomotions leaderboard.

Last edited:

Zsolt

A.S.K. Homework
Apr 2, 2013
Also, all my Locomotion scores are posting to the Devil Riders GameCenter leaderboard. :\

Devil Riders also posts to Locomotions leaderboard.
Thanks for your quick feedback! This bug is fixed now, so it should work flawless.

night

May 18, 2012
I think this update deserves a big compliment to the ASK team.
It really takes time to figure-out all the options, so a quick observation. Hot Wheels plays very nice! Cool table, nice sound fx. I only tried simulation mode, did not touch the physics options yet. But in simulation mode it plays very nice already. Physics compared to the first release and the competition is just very good, realistic. The scratched table textures look very good, totally beaten-up, and dirt rate at 50% standard is alright, but when I raise this number I see dark blurry textures on the playfield which I don't like, so I leave this untouched. Scratched glass textures in combi with scratched playfield gives a complete destroyed look, like it has been sitting in the slums of India for the last 30 years! Very cool but perhaps too much for my taste, so I leave the glass 'off' for now. I think I am going to set these options individual for each table, so some beaten up and some clean. I suspect I can save per table in custom mode, did not tried it yet. Good thing is the 'lightmap force', to prevent overblown highlights. I think putting the slider back under 'H' is a good position. Perhaps we can share some of our favorite settings. More on this later.
So far so good!

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.