Request No more Gottlieb tables

Buzz1126

Dec 27, 2013
Can anyone tell me if, like those that turn up their noses at certain types of wine or music or fashion, if there are pinball snobs? I had more written, but I didn't want to get kicked out of the forum. I like it here.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Can anyone tell me if, like those that turn up their noses at certain types of wine or music or fashion, if there are pinball snobs? I had more written, but I didn't want to get kicked out of the forum. I like it here.

Yes, there definitely are pinball snobs. Sean freely admitted in the last podcast that he's a bit of a DMD snob, for example. That seems to be the most common type.

Don't worry about getting kicked out the forum, heh. You're a good guy and varying opinions are welcomed here. Even among the moderators, there is a lot of variety in our tastes and views. It's only when people can't keep it civil that they aren't welcome, but thankfully that doesn't happen too often.

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012

Go to the pinside forum. There are some people that hate everything. Especially jersey jack (the man, the company), digital pinball, stern, etc.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
First of all please don't liken rape to pinball strategy.

Reading through your rules it sounds like you're describing clever score stacking tactics rather than exploits. And I've only managed to get the half billion on CBW once, so it isn't that easy for the average player. I'd imagine it would be even more difficult on a real machine.

Yes rape should always be taken seriously...very seriously.

http://0.media.collegehumor.cvcdn.com/95/52/102246ee8aa5d03fe2326492c9747671.jpg

Yes this a real sign in Tisdale, Saskatchewan

Yes, there definitely are pinball snobs. Sean freely admitted in the last podcast that he's a bit of a DMD snob, for example. That seems to be the most common type.

Don't worry about getting kicked out the forum, heh. You're a good guy and varying opinions are welcomed here. Even among the moderators, there is a lot of variety in our tastes and views. It's only when people can't keep it civil that they aren't welcome, but thankfully that doesn't happen too often.

According to my post count it's happened around 2000 times or so :p

MontanaFrank

Dec 19, 2012
I vote for a separate game from Farsight: Gottlieb 1974-1979 "The golden years"

My heart just skipped a beat at the thought. I'm going to have to get back to Vegas soon just to feed my classic Gotlieb addiction.

My heart skipped a beat too, Jeff and after that, Karl, my mouth started to slobber. Just the thought of that brightened my whole day. Thanks Karl and Jeff

neglectoid

Sep 27, 2012
Can anyone tell me if, like those that turn up their noses at certain types of wine or music or fashion, if there are pinball snobs?
I guess you could say a was a Williams/Bally snob. it wasn't that I had any particular allegiance for them or anything, I just seemed to enjoy their machines more. but thankfully I have since outgrown that (TPA had a little influence). it pains me to think about the many classic tables that I may have missed out on simply because I thought it wasn't worth putting a quarter into a particular machine.

rehtroboi40

Oct 20, 2012
Pinball machines were designed to make money. Many machines in the late 80's/early 90's had certain exploits to lure in extra players. Many Williams/Bally tables had accumulating jackpots (kind of like a State lottery), or words to spell with letters carried over (the King's R-A-N-S-O-M) and some Gottlieb tables had 1/2B-1B shots. I remember seeing that video (can't find the link) of Jon Norris explaining that the rationale behind such huge plays in his games was to give novices a chance to catch up in multi-player games. He sure liked the "D-O-U-B-L-E" feature in his games as well.

As a more casual pinball player (haven't played a real table in years since I can't find one in decent condition), I can accept the fact that many of the tables we love had these kind of exploits. Although I can understand how experts may find them to be a nuisance.

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012

Actually, during the 80s, I was, perhaps still am, a major Williams snob. If I didn't see the big "W" on it, I would keep walking. I also actively avoided any table with photos on the backglass instead of art, and or licenses I didn't care for. Now that I think about it, avoiding a table because of the last 2 is really silly. So that being the case, I never played Gilligan's Island, Baywatch, or Stargate.

kinggo

Feb 9, 2014
My heart just skipped a beat at the thought. I'm going to have to get back to Vegas soon just to feed my classic Gotlieb addiction.
mine didn't. While I do regret that I didn't have a chance to play more EM's IRL I have to say that I don't find them so enjoyable in digital form.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
mine didn't. While I do regret that I didn't have a chance to play more EM's IRL I have to say that I don't find them so enjoyable in digital form.

Yeah, they're definitely better in real life, as is every pinball machine...but EM's especially. The bounces are much more varied and unpredictable in the real world, and that makes a big difference on EM's since the playfield is generally more open. Combine that with outlanes that are even deadlier, and you have gameplay that really keeps you on your toes.

Also, generally speaking, nudging isn't nearly as easy and exaggerated as it is in TPA either, so that increases the challenge as well. A lot of the thrill for me is in the challenge, and unfortunately a sizable portion of that is lost in TPA.

Still though, it's nice to have TPA since my wife isn't willing to have let me turn our living room into a game room (yet), and there aren't very many good quality pins in my neighborhood.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
I think if FS toned down the nudging to realistic levels, a lot of challenge would resurface in their simulation. In Big Shot on the PC i can literally steer the ball almost wherever I want it to go

DrainoBraino

Apr 11, 2012
I think if FS toned down the nudging to realistic levels, a lot of challenge would resurface in their simulation. In Big Shot on the PC i can literally steer the ball almost wherever I want it to go
HAve to jump on the bandwagon with this comment. The nudging is way overpowered. Has FS ever addressed or even mentioned any issues with the nudging?

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
HAve to jump on the bandwagon with this comment. The nudging is way overpowered. Has FS ever addressed or even mentioned any issues with the nudging?

Nudging is always extreme on my iPhone. Luckily I don't tilt as much so I think it has been lowered a bit but still those warnings come quickly.

kinggo

Feb 9, 2014
The biggest problem with EM's for me. Nudging is everything IRL, but on TPA it's almost always TILT. On tablet if I have nudge on sensor big Shot is unplayable. Central Park is better, nudging up is usable there. But still, one can nudge in a 16486298 ways IRL.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
The biggest problem with EM's for me. Nudging is everything IRL, but on TPA it's almost always TILT. On tablet if I have nudge on sensor big Shot is unplayable. Central Park is better, nudging up is usable there. But still, one can nudge in a 16486298 ways IRL.

The other side of the coin is if you play Big Shot with a controller on PC for example, you can essentially nudge forever without tilting if you're careful, so there needs to be some middle ground.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts