Request No more Gottlieb tables

kinggo

Feb 9, 2014
I played TPA on PC only once and it seemed so much easier than on tablet. My first game, TAXI, 18M. On tablet, 6 or 7 is really hard to get. And that machine I had for some time and I never managed to score over 10M.
So that idea for separate leaderboard for each platform is very welcome here.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
My next video is going to be big shot. I had some good footage but my commentary overlay had no sound so I have to start over. I will show some of that crazy nudging when it's uploaded. Might even bring up this topic

Zombie Aladdin

Mar 28, 2014
Can anyone tell me if, like those that turn up their noses at certain types of wine or music or fashion, if there are pinball snobs? I had more written, but I didn't want to get kicked out of the forum. I like it here.

If it exists, there will be snobs for it. If it's big enough, there will be schisms in its fanbase about what it does or doesn't like. It's actually a bad sign when you don't have fans who refuse to see eye to eye with other fans, because it means the fanbase is so small that solidarity is the only way to survive.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Last edited:

kinggo

Feb 9, 2014
LOL..... WTF???? Is that PC version? On my tab it doesn't look like that, not even close. Nudge doesn't have such an impact on the ball, if any actually. And if I nudge two times like in this video it's TILT. This is ridiculous, if one can do that, that explains 63M high score. OK, the guy probably invested his liftime to that, kudos for that, but still....

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
LOL..... WTF???? Is that PC version? On my tab it doesn't look like that, not even close. Nudge doesn't have such an impact on the ball, if any actually. And if I nudge two times like in this video it's TILT. This is ridiculous, if one can do that, that explains 63M high score. OK, the guy probably invested his liftime to that, kudos for that, but still....

What do you use to control the game?

kinggo

Feb 9, 2014
My thumbs :)
I tried with sensor and with touch controls and I have serious issues with both options. Sensor should be more natural but I just can't get along with sensitivity, sometimes it reacts to strong so I tilt a game without even trying to nudge. So I switched to touch controls which sove the unintentional tilts but I just dont like the layouts of touch areas for portrait orientation. On type A nudge area is to high. I mean, I can grab the whole thing higher but then I cover outlanes with my hands. Type E is much better for that but it has very narrow touch zones for flippers so I often nudge up.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
My thumbs :)
I tried with sensor and with touch controls and I have serious issues with both options. Sensor should be more natural but I just can't get along with sensitivity, sometimes it reacts to strong so I tilt a game without even trying to nudge. So I switched to touch controls which sove the unintentional tilts but I just dont like the layouts of touch areas for portrait orientation. On type A nudge area is to high. I mean, I can grab the whole thing higher but then I cover outlanes with my hands. Type E is much better for that but it has very narrow touch zones for flippers so I often nudge up.

On mobile nudge is more sensitive I find when your device is parallel to the ground.

The nudging that me and Jeff are talking about is when using an analog controller. You have very fine control of the table and it still has an effect on the ball

kinggo

Feb 9, 2014
Yes, I know that it's about controller. But I don't see myself with controller when holding the tab is much more natural. And still, to move a ball like in the video above, one should move the machine 10 inches IRL. I just tried BS after some time and with touch controls I can nudge pretty hard but only once. If I try to do it like in the video then it tilts. Difficulty levels between platforms are quite huge, actually the whole experience is quite different. The only thing that is common is leaderborads. :(

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
Pitch and Putt in Teed Off can't be nearly that abusable on a real machine, right?
Pitch and put is indeed that abusable if not set to a flat 25 million. just get your friend to shake the top of the machine to keep that captive ball going. :) besides you do have fine nudging and flipper skills to get the ball back off that shot. :) People also abuse regular multiball the same way for even bigger points and roll the game. It's not a trivial abuse like lightning storm, which really is that easy on nearly every tee'd off machine in real life. in fact, it's easier, because of no rejects. The one mentioned later is brutal because the stoppers on the end of the wireform feeds to the flippers were REMOVED, to prevent the InstaCatch(TM).

Victory isn't really abusable on the same sort of level. and all the "abuse" in those Williams games was totally intended by the designers. As i said, when it reaches premiere levels, they fix it. And if you saw these exploits used in tournaments, you'd understand why the term was named the way it is.

With Stargate, the 3x scoring timer was not intended to pause during multiball. with monster bash, the mode timers ARE intended to pause during multiball.

Feb 19, 2014
Although yes, you can get away with quite a bit in the nudge dept, here's the thing:

It's video pinball, it's meant to be easier.

If you disagree, well, consider some modern Sterns can (and are) set just as leniently with nudging.

It would piss off a lot of people if they changed it, just to satisfy a few masochistic hardcore pinheads, not to mention, would require a complete reset of the leaderboards since every table is now way way harder.

You gotta remember, pinball is still pretty tough. And yeah were good now but try to remmeber back to when the game first came out, even with the lenient nudging admit if you got your ass kicked! That's how 75-80% of the gamer market still is.

I don't want to start a big debate, these are just my opinions.

kinggo

Feb 9, 2014
Well, but that BS example is just to much. What's the point of 10+ hours games? What's the point of scores that are impossible IRL? And what's the point of cross platform leaderboard if on platform A certain score is much easier to achive than on platform B?

SuperKaladrax

Feb 24, 2014
That's the Gottlieb era I love the best too. But I don't think there is much chance of seeing any of these. I get the feeling they aren't viewed as popular/profitable enough.

I looked those tables up on IPDB. Oh, wow. Yes, please! I would back a kickstarter for those. I had always hoped TPA would result in a wider spectrum of eras than it has. I understand this may be due to business concerns, and I respect that. They have to keep the lights on. But I'd still be supremely delighted to see more 70's tables, and I think if the mandate of preserving pinball still holds any weight, we should.

I like SS/DMD tables, too. And tables full of widgets and toys and whizbangs. But my heart will always belong to the late EM/early SS games. Big Shot and Genie are my favourites.

Espy

Sep 9, 2013
I looked those tables up on IPDB. Oh, wow. Yes, please! I would back a kickstarter for those. I had always hoped TPA would result in a wider spectrum of eras than it has. I understand this may be due to business concerns, and I respect that. They have to keep the lights on. But I'd still be supremely delighted to see more 70's tables, and I think if the mandate of preserving pinball still holds any weight, we should.

I like SS/DMD tables, too. And tables full of widgets and toys and whizbangs. But my heart will always belong to the late EM/early SS games. Big Shot and Genie are my favourites.

TPA would never kickstart some EMs. They wouldn't need to for a start, but even if they did, the backlash would be tremendous.

Zombie Aladdin

Mar 28, 2014
The only one that might really warrant a kickstarter would be Mermaid, and possibly Evel Knievel, as EMs are almost never tied to a license, and used EMs are cheap compared to anything after that. The hard part, I presume, is getting one in working order or repairing it back to working order.

It'd be neat to have a pre-EM table though.

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
Although yes, you can get away with quite a bit in the nudge dept, here's the thing:

It's video pinball, it's meant to be easier.

Except when it isn't. Fish Tales is HARD! Space Shuttle is probably nastier then real life. A fair number of TPA tables DO have real difficulty, which makes the easy ones stick out even more.

Zombie Aladdin

Mar 28, 2014
The real Space Shuttle is definitely harder. The ball doesn't cleanly go up lanes or ramps the way the one in Pinball Arcade does. You need good aim; otherwise, you'll be barely missing a bunch of shots a lot, especially the central ramp.

like a vertical pachinko machine with nothing but pins and springs, where pro mode allows you to place rubber bands ?

Sure. It'd need to be bundled with another table or cost less than $5 to purchase independently though.

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
Space Shuttle harder in real life? But it doesn't have that bumpers to right outlane vacuum that eats so many balls. :)

And to reopen the airlock you need to shoot those drops and guess where the ball goes when you shoot them? yup. right back into the bumpers and down the outlane before you can relight it. Also, in real life, sweeping them is an option i think.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts