PAF Top Ten Most Wanted Table Poll Series : #3 - Bally (Closed)

What Are Your Top Ten Most Wanted Bally Tables

• Black Rose (1992)

Votes: 213 57.9%
  • Corvette (1994)

Votes: 154 41.8%
  • Eight Ball Champ (1985)

Votes: 49 13.3%
  • Eight Ball Deluxe (1981)

Votes: 150 40.8%
  • Elektra (1981)

Votes: 53 14.4%
  • Embryon (1981)

Votes: 67 18.2%
  • Evil Knieval (1977)

Votes: 48 13.0%
  • Fathom (1981)

Votes: 101 27.4%
  • Fireball Classic (1984)

Votes: 47 12.8%
  • Fireball II (1981)

Votes: 35 9.5%
  • Flash Gordon (1981)

Votes: 104 28.3%
  • Future Spa (1979)

Votes: 44 12.0%
  • Indianapolis 500 (1995)

Votes: 132 35.9%
  • Judge Dredd (1993)

Votes: 197 53.5%
  • Mata Hari (1978)

Votes: 52 14.1%
  • Medusa (1981)

Votes: 75 20.4%
  • Mousin’ Around! (1989)

Votes: 69 18.8%
  • Nitro Ground Shaker (1980)

Votes: 14 3.8%
  • Paragon (1979)

Votes: 86 23.4%
  • Party Zone, The (1991)

Votes: 158 42.9%
  • Radical! (1990)

Votes: 62 16.8%
  • Safe Cracker (1996)

Votes: 191 51.9%
  • Silverball Mania (1978)

Votes: 33 9.0%
  • Space Invaders (1980)

Votes: 103 28.0%
  • Spectrum (1981)

Votes: 59 16.0%
  • Strange Science (1986)

Votes: 69 18.8%
  • Strikes and Spares (1978)

Votes: 51 13.9%
  • WHO dunnit (1995)

Votes: 196 53.3%
  • World Cup Soccer (1994)

Votes: 199 54.1%
  • Xenon (1980)

Votes: 162 44.0%

• Total voters

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
I would love Judge Dredd. Safe Cracker seems really interesting too

Safe cracker is great. They integrated the theme really well to the timer aspect of the gameplay. The fact that you are playing not to avoid losing balls but to extend time makes it a rather unique challenge and certainly a nice break from the normal strategies. It also alleviates the pressure of worrying about drains or missing a precision shot. Obviously you want to keep your ball in play so you don't lose time but you get it right back if it does drain.

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
There is a cannon in the way. How is that a good thing? And yes, any of the pins that you mentioned would be better than BR.

I don't see how a cannon is in the way of anything...have you played the game? It sits below the playfield and is only ever exposed (on a properly maintained machine) when you actually fire it. It is not an obstruction to any shot.

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
I wish Paragon had gotten a lil more love.

That 78-81 era of Bally is one of the best time periods for pinball. The best artwork, most adventurous themes and the sounds were primitive but also trail blazing. I think the sound limitations added a certain amount of allure even when some were a bit corny. I wish most of those tables were showing better. Fathom is up there and space invaders as well. Paragon is way more fun to me than half the tables in the lead and space invaders. Hope it picks up steam.

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
Actually one of the pins I had in mind was Indy 500...which is a DMD pin...but yes, I do also wish the older pins that are rated higher had more votes as well. My original point was that there are several pins rated higher than Party Zone, yet they have much fewer votes. Paragon, Indy 500, Embryon, Fathom, and Flash Gordon are all higher on Pinside's list (and with the exception of Indy 500, all of those are non-DMD, which makes what you said above in the first paragraph not true).

I think if a pin is rated significantly higher, then it would be nice if it received at least a few more votes because it's rated higher for a reason. That was my point. Sorry if that doesn't make sense to you.

Personally, I don't care if a pin has a DMD or not. As we've already established, it doesn't take a DMD to get a pinball machine into the top lists. Just because there are more DMD pins near the top doesn't mean Farsight should make a lower-rated DMD pin over a higher-rated non-DMD pin. I think they should start at the top of the list and try to get as many of the higher-rated pins into the game as possible, regardless of what year they were made.

Lol... no, it does not make my statement untrue. My God this is frustrating...None of those are higher than Party Zone on IPDB.

I get it. Party Zone isn't on Pinside. That does not make Pinball Arcade Fans "not typical fans" for choosing it, since it's ranked quite high on IPBD, another Pinball Ranking source besides Pinside.

My list of Alpha-numerics was to show that the top 50-100 of both sites predominantly consist of DMD machines, followed by Alpha Numerics, then finally early 80's. This is true of both websites.

On one site (IPDB) Party Zone is ranked higher than all the early 80's and late 70's machines in this poll. It's also ranked higher than many significant machines, including the likes of Dr. Who, Centaur, Dr. Dude, World Cup Soccer, Black Knight 2000, Corvette, Champion Pub, making your statement not only false, but really, really, really really false. Incredibly undeniably false. Falser than my great grandmothers false teeth (which are pretty false).

On Pinside, Party Zone isn't ranked but neither are most of the early 80's and late 70's machines in this poll. And the ones that are listed, rank in the very bottom of the Pinside 100. Making your "more deserving pins" statement make even less sense.

I don't know how to make myself any more clear on what I'm saying. I'm done arguing with you.

Last edited:

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Oh my God .. lol, no, It does not make my statement untrue. Jesus. None of those are higher than Party Zone on IPDB.

I get it. Party Zone isn't on Pinside. That does not make Pinball Arcade Fans "not typical fans" for choosing it, since it's ranked quite high on IPBD, another Pinball Ranking source besides Pinside.

Ok. There's the facts. Let's move on now please.

You said "whether you look on IPDB or Pinside", which implies that your statement would be true for either site, but it's not true for Pinside. Sorry to drag it out, but I just wanted to clear it up since you said I wasn't making sense.

I didn't check IPDB before I originally posted. Pinside is much more reputable. But either way, Yeah, let's move on.

canuck

Nov 28, 2012
IMO Farsight should make pins people want to play (and buy), rather than basing their choices on some kind of abstract theoretical rating scheme on a few websites. Regardless, it looks like we're all going to get something we like.

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
You said "whether you look on IPDB or Pinside", which implies that your statement would be true for either site, but it's not true for Pinside. Sorry to drag it out, but I just wanted to clear it up since you said I wasn't making sense.

I didn't check IPDB before I originally posted. Pinside is much more reputable. But either way, Yeah, let's move on.

What? When did I say that? I said that about early 80's machines. I said they rank low on both sites.

Why is Pinside more reputable? Says who? You? God?

Not sure why you are trying to throw Party Zone under the bus anyway. Have you even played it? Surely you've seen my posts that it's my favorite, and many posters agree with me. So you probably singled it out on purpose.

You should know by now that if you pick a fight with me, you're going to lose.

Father Time

Apr 21, 2013
I'm glad Black Rose is in the lead.

There's not enough pirate video games out there and to be honest after flight 2000 I think we've had enough space themed pinballs for a while (I'm not saying stop making them I'm just saying take a break for a bit)

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
What? When did I say that? I said that about early 80's machines. I said they rank low on both sites.

Not sure why you are trying to throw Party Zone under the bus anyway. Have you even played it? Surely you've seen my posts that it's my favorite, and many posters agree with me. So you probably singled it out on purpose.

Mark, please clam down dude. I'm not trying to pick a fight with you....let's just let it go, man...I regret ever even posting in this thread today because its obviously done nothing but piss you off, and that was not my intention at all.

Pinballfan69

Mar 28, 2012

Well it does sound like IPDB is your holy Grail though. We get that Party Zone is your favorite. We all do and I think we should leave it at that. Certainly there are surprises in this poll so far and Let's keep at that. It's not an official poll. These polls have no guarantee that the top 10 will even make it to TPA. Perhaps it's just giving a nudge To Farsight way for potential new tables.

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
Well it does sound like IPDB is your holy Grail though. We get that Party Zone is your favorite. We all do and I think we should leave it at that. Certainly there are surprises in this poll so far and Let's keep at that. It's not an official poll. These polls have no guarantee that the top 10 will even make it to TPA. Perhaps it's just giving a nudge To Farsight way for potential new tables.

I'm not trying to have a hissy fit. Party Zone was an underdog. I was absolutely thrilled to see it made the top 10. There's no need to **** on other's parades in here. Just because you're machine (you as in anyone) didn't make top ten does not give you the right to **** all over others opinions.

I mean I'm hearing people throwing not only Party Zone but Black Rose, and also Xenon under the bus saying that these don't deserve it.

Black Rose looks awesome. And it's not ranked high on either data base. Which goes to show that Pinball Fans has it's own unique voice.

IPDB is not my "favorite". It's just another resource like Pinside. I do not hold one or the other up on a pedastool. If a game makes either top 100 then I think it's totally worthy of Pinball Arcade.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Just so everyone knows that I wasn't trying to bag on anyone's favorite: the only reason I brought up Party Zone was that it was the one machine with higher votes that was rated lower at Pinside. It was honestly nothing personal, and like I said now I regret the post because I didn't realize it would upset anyone. My apologies.

Last edited:

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
Just so everyone knows that I wasn't trying to bag on anyone's favorite: the only reason I brought up Party Zone was that it was the one machine with higher votes that was rated lower at Pinside. It was honestly nothing personal, and like I said now I regret the post because I didn't realize it would upset anyone. My apologies.

Really it was just how you worded it.

You came off condescending, as if people who voted for Party Zone weren't real pinball fans, because it wasn't in a top 100 list, ignoring the fact that it's a highly ranked table on another top 100 list.

It's all good just watch how you say things. We are all pinball fans here. There are no typical and atypical fans, just fans, and every vote is the same worth as the next. Dude I'd rather have Fathom than World Cup ok so keep in mind I feel some of you on this stuff, but let's just keep it classy and respect peoples choices.

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
I wouldn't worry, Jeff. I don't think most folks would care too much but once it is made, I also believe that it will prove warh0g's comment correct that it looks great. I personally feel it looks like a super exciting table but doesn't meet that level once you play it. Not to at it is bad, just not as great as it looks.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I stand by Jeff's statement that TPA fans are not your typical pinball fans. The majority of TPA fans don't own a real table, don't have access to real tables, and quite often have never played any of the tables offered in TPA in real life. The typical pinball fan either has access to, owns, or has extensive play in their past. There is a small subset of TPA fans that do own, have access to, and frequently play real pinball, and yet they are still different because they enjoy virtual pinball as passionately as real pinball. Many pinball fans turn their noses up at virtual pin.

There are many tables that just don't translate the fun if solely based on videos or screenshots. The fun of an EM in real life, where nudging and maddeningly slow balls are kinda a wonder to behold, just don't translate in a video. DMD = modes, which most people equate to fun. I'm guilty of it too, since I'll take Jack*Bot any day over Pin*Bot, even though they have identical play fields. Until you've actually played Spectrum, it's hard to 'get' it. I think the same goes for the table that has got Mark's pot boiling, Party Zone. It's a visual mess, yet loads of fun in person.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
I wouldn't worry, Jeff. I don't think most folks would care too much but once it is made, I also believe that it will prove warh0g's comment correct that it looks great. I personally feel it looks like a super exciting table but doesn't meet that level once you play it. Not to at it is bad, just not as great as it looks.

I stand by Jeff's statement that TPA fans are not your typical pinball fans. The majority of TPA fans don't own a real table, don't have access to real tables, and quite often have never played any of the tables offered in TPA in real life. The typical pinball fan either has access to, owns, or has extensive play in their past. There is a small subset of TPA fans that do own, have access to, and frequently play real pinball, and yet they are still different because they enjoy virtual pinball as passionately as real pinball. Many pinball fans turn their noses up at virtual pin.

Thanks guys. SYT is right, and it wasn't meant to be condscending.

DaPinballWizard

Apr 16, 2012
Indy 500 getting no love. That is such a fun table. Love it on VP. At least I can play it there, but wanted to see that remade. Probably wont happen for years by the looks of this.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts