Table Pack #27 speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

DokkenRokken

Banned
Apr 7, 2014
Isn't Thanksgiving more like Christmas in the states than Halloween, in how much they have been commercialized and the relation to shopping.

I would correlate Halloween, New Years, Cinco De Mayo or Mardi Gras more.

Personally I prefer Mondays.

Valentines Day, Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years are the big ones.

Easter, St. Patrick's Day, etc are the smaller ones.

Personally, Halloween is a big one for me, as my family and I decorate the front lawn and house with decorations, as well as go to Haunted House theme events in the area.

N

netizen

Valentines Day, Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years are the big ones.

Easter, St. Patrick's Day, etc are the smaller ones.

There's huge shopping riots for Valentine's day as well :confused:; the irony there must be completely lost. I have never heaqrd of anyone getting alcohol poisoning during the Easter Day parade.

Maybe things appear different to an apathetic observer of your holidays.

DokkenRokken

Banned
Apr 7, 2014
There's huge shopping riots for Valentine's day as well :confused:; the irony there must be completely lost. I have never heaqrd of anyone getting alcohol poisoning during the Easter Day parade.

Maybe things appear different to an apathetic observer of your holidays.

Trying to get a seat at a restaurant on Valentine's Day is usually a nightmare. However, you seem to be focused on frenzied shopping crazes, which is mainly for "Black Friday" (Thanksgiving) and the month of December. ...and this has gotten way off topic. lol

Zombie Aladdin

Mar 28, 2014
It was mentioned later in this topic that the Facebook representative was mistaken about it though after being pointed out that it's based on the original novel and not any adaptation of it and that all music is either public domain (and so is the book) or created for the machine.

The only possible difficulty I see in Phantom of the Opera is the likeness of the daughter of one of the staff members (forgot whom) in the role of Christie, and I doubt that's a hurdle worth worrying about at all.

DokkenRokken

Banned
Apr 7, 2014
It was mentioned later in this topic that the Facebook representative was mistaken about it though after being pointed out that it's based on the original novel and not any adaptation of it and that all music is either public domain (and so is the book) or created for the machine.

The only possible difficulty I see in Phantom of the Opera is the likeness of the daughter of one of the staff members (forgot whom) in the role of Christie, and I doubt that's a hurdle worth worrying about at all.

It was also listed in the Premium Top Ten Poll....and did quite poorly to my surprise:

http://digitalpinballfans.com/showt...t-Wanted-Table-Poll-Series-4-Premium-Licensed

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
I disagree.

The thing about tables like "Last Action Hero" is that they carry a gigantic licensing free because of actors as big as Arnie. So, any chance of getting a table like that at a "cost only a fraction" is just a pipe dream, but I hear what you're saying.

Personally, I think whatever the next Stern table is, it'll be a non licensed table from the Top 10 Poll like all the rest of em that have been released this season. Again, Farsight has rarely strayed away from the Top 10 Polls, especially this season. The only exception was "High Speed", which people were requesting on a minute by minute basis. lol

If we got TFTC & Dracula this season, I'd be in heaven.... then again, that's most likely just a pipe dream.

Arnie is going to carry a pretty hefty price tag.

Some of the tables (speculatively) may be pretty reasonable, such as Roller Coaster Tycoon (since they are about to release a mobile version and RCT4 for the PC is supposed to release later this year) which might do it for a song, for a little extra name brand promotion (not that it really needs it). Monopoly may be reasonable as well, and is licensed quite a bit for promotions. The actual game isn't quite as famous as it used to be (sadly IMO) and due to the lack of big name actors in the art, it could go for a reasonable price, as I'm pretty sure it's only Hasbro that needs to be contacted.

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
It was also listed in the Premium Top Ten Poll....and did quite poorly to my surprise:

http://digitalpinballfans.com/showt...t-Wanted-Table-Poll-Series-4-Premium-Licensed

It did have to go up against so many great tables in that particular poll. As well as many great licenses. Star Wars is a game that is largely accepted as being not so fantastic yet it destroyed games rated much higher on Pinside, IPDB etc on these polls. Meanwhile far better games like Congo, Johnny Mnemonic and Dirty Harry get buried by obscurity or lack of resonance with voters. Plus some legitimately good or even great games with popular themes like Freddy or Stargate got buried (probably only because it was a Gottlieb). It would be interesting to see how Phantom would fare against more run of the mill Stern/Sega/DE games and light licensed games. I think the non-DMD display might have worked against it a bit as well.

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
I played Phantom of the Opera once at a pin show. I only played it because it looks great in person. Can't remember how it played. Does anyone have a lot of experience playing it that can give thoughts on it.

DokkenRokken

Banned
Apr 7, 2014
It did have to go up against so many great tables in that particular poll. As well as many great licenses. Star Wars is a game that is largely accepted as being not so fantastic yet it destroyed games rated much higher on Pinside, IPDB etc on these polls. Meanwhile far better games like Congo, Johnny Mnemonic and Dirty Harry get buried by obscurity or lack of resonance with voters. Plus some legitimately good or even great games with popular themes like Freddy or Stargate got buried (probably only because it was a Gottlieb). It would be interesting to see how Phantom would fare against more run of the mill Stern/Sega/DE games and light licensed games. I think the non-DMD display might have worked against it a bit as well.

+1

I think "Tommy" is a terrible table and was STUNNED that it beat out "Freddy".

I was also saddened to see that "Dirty Harry" also didn't make it. (Which is insane to even consider!) The table is so much fun to play, not to mention there's a lot to do. (Challenge wise)

Captain B. Zarre

Apr 16, 2013
+1

I think "Tommy" is a terrible table and was STUNNED that it beat out "Freddy".

I was also saddened to see that "Dirty Harry" also didn't make it. (Which is insane to even consider!) The table is so much fun to play, not to mention there's a lot to do. (Challenge wise)

1. Completely disagree with you there, TOMMY is one of my favorite tables. Love the depth of the rules and the great integration with the musical. Just think that the art, Data East / SEGA signage, and sound quality doesn't cut it. IMHO Guns 'n Roses is much better but we'll know that will never happen.

2. Yes! Dirty Harry is a great table that was surprisingly shunned from the polls. One of the minor hits of '95 along with Indy 500 and Johnny Mnemonic.

DokkenRokken

Banned
Apr 7, 2014
1. Completely disagree with you there, TOMMY is one of my favorite tables. Love the depth of the rules and the great integration with the musical. Just think that the art, Data East / SEGA signage, and sound quality doesn't cut it. IMHO Guns 'n Roses is much better but we'll know that will never happen.

2. Yes! Dirty Harry is a great table that was surprisingly shunned from the polls. One of the minor hits of '95 along with Indy 500 and Johnny Mnemonic.

A lot of people disagree with me about "Tommy", but then I usually disagree with them about "Freddy". In the end, it's about personal taste, and it doesn't help that I was never a WHO fan.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
A lot of people disagree with me about "Tommy", but then I usually disagree with them about "Freddy". In the end, it's about personal taste, and it doesn't help that I was never a WHO fan.

I agree with you about WHO. Not a bug fan of the UN either.

Zombie Aladdin

Mar 28, 2014
By the way, I've played Phantom of the Opera (if anyone is stopping by Orange County in California, the Lake Forest Ice Palace has it again), and I enjoyed it. Despite it having a sparse layout, the ball moves pretty fast, and you can maintain good control over where the ball will go. The rules are extremely simple but that only means it's clear--it only means there is nothing in Phantom of the Opera that isn't necessary. The two things I have against it, however, are the difficulty of reaching the rollover switches above the bumpers that you want as there is no lane-change and the only way up there after the initial plunge is a shot up the right orbit; and that balls tend to get stuck in the up-kicker on the left, as it doesn't seem designed for heavy-duty use, yet the game encourages you to shoot every ball into it (via the pipe organ). A minor one is that sicne the pipe organ is so steep, it results in a lot of air balls. I would put Phantom of the Opera at an 8 out of 10.

This is by no means an appealing table to someone just walking on by though. Pretty much any licensed theme that people can remember will attract them more. This Phantom of the Opera machine had a Batman Forever to the left and a Mary Shelley's Frankenstein to the right, and I see both played way more than Phantom. In other words, it's a good table, but it has a theme few people care about.

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
I agree with you about WHO. Not a bug fan of the UN either.

The who are hit and miss for me. After moon died they haven't produced anything worth listening to. I mainly just can't stand Pete Townsend but the other three are great. I always dug all of the ox's tunes esp Boris the spider. The game is good but nothing special to me. Bobby king stated it had a better chance of getting in one day because it's based on the play and not the who's music or likeness. I always thought the crazy vivid yellow and black looked a bit too bold and out of place next to other tables.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.