Table Pack #57 Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

lettuce

Mar 17, 2012
The only 2 good Gottlieb left (Freddy & Stargate) FS refuse to give us, instead we get the bottom of the barrel, heck im surprised we didnt get Barb Wire

gordonabrown

May 3, 2016
Gladiators looks good! I really enjoy many of the Premiers. The only table I actively don't play is Goin' Nuts - though I understand why they made it - so I'm really happy with anything that TPA gives me. There needs to be a bit of a realistic approach and some perspective to this. Including table pack 57 Premiers have made up 6 of the last 40 tables. 6! That's 34 Williams, Bally, Sega and Data East over 40 tables. For those of you who have no access to pinball where you live count yourself lucky that you have a game as great as The Pinball Arcade.

If there's anything I've learned from reading posts here is that there is a LOT of complaining from many individuals and that at the end of the day unless TPA doles out DMD and System 11 one after the other for years it's whinge-city.

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
Don from the Pinball Podcast told me that Gladiators was originally going to be Legend of Zelda. There's still a triforce on the playfield. I had never heard that before. Bit of trivia for y'all.

DA5ID

Aug 27, 2014
Don from the Pinball Podcast told me that Gladiators was originally going to be Legend of Zelda. There's still a triforce on the playfield. I had never heard that before. Bit of trivia for y'all.

super interesting! I looked for the triforce on the playfield - not seeing it - any clues?
more details on the zelda > american gladiators > gladiators history of the table on the jon norris blog
The Legend of Zelda Pinball Machine

shame the zelda version of the table never got made - but bright shiny side is we would have NEVER got the Nintendo license for TPA.

dave950lam

Apr 20, 2012
As if said in Airplane:

"You like pinball machines about Gladiators?"

But seriously, this is a back-handed sports game, as in sports back in Roman Empire days. It looks interesting....Never saw the game.

David T. Melnick

Jul 23, 2014
As if said in Airplane:

"You like pinball machines about Gladiators?"

But seriously, this is a back-handed sports game, as in sports back in Roman Empire days. It looks interesting....Never saw the game.
----
Thanks for reminding me about those ancient Roman & Greek historys.

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
super interesting! I looked for the triforce on the playfield - not seeing it - any clues?
more details on the zelda > american gladiators > gladiators history of the table on the jon norris blog

shame the zelda version of the table never got made - but bright shiny side is we would have NEVER got the Nintendo license for TPA.

Thanks for the link. Amazing how the theme changed three times in such a short period.
I assume the triforce was going to be the big triangle in the center of the playfield? But I'm not really up on Zelda lore. The only Zelda I played was the original version and that was a long time ago.

Last edited:

shogun00

Dec 25, 2012
It's possible that it could be Rollergames. There's a story going around that William's had a choice on making either a pinball table on American Gladiators or Rollergames. Obviously they went with Rollergames, but it's possible that the clue is referencing to that story.

HotHamBoy

Aug 2, 2014
It's Gladiators.

I was joking when I said the rest of the Season would be Premieres. Looks like it really is going to happen.

Gladiators is okay, I've played it.

It's not as good as about 40 other tables they could have done instead.

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
I wonder how they'll do the two stage flipper button press for mobile.
"light press for lower flippers only, harder press for both lower and upper ".
I hope it's not upper flippers on special buttons. I'd sooner upper and lowers were linked to the normal TPA flipper buttons. It'd mean you can't make a 'U' shot from the lower left flipper (as upper left wouldn't get out of the way in time) but it'd play a lot better.

rehtroboi40

Oct 20, 2012

I've seen this blog before. This game went through a total of 3 re-themes before it became Gladiators. It's interesting that FarSight used the American Gladiators photo as the hint, considering that was one of the themes Gottlieb tried before losing that license and ultimately became just "Gladiators".

Played twice in real life-nowhere near as bad as Bone Busters or Rescue 911 IMO. Sorry for not having a more informed opinion-the Gladiators machines I've played would've been better if they were maintained properly.

Now I'm really starting to wonder if TPA is really starting to run dry. Maybe FarSight is going to concentrate more on STPA instead. I would be fine with that-especially if it meant more 80's tables from Stern Electronics and Data East. I'd be cool with stuff like SeaWitch, Lazer War, and many others. Not sure those will happen though.

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
I wonder how they'll do the two stage flipper button press for mobile.
"light press for lower flippers only, harder press for both lower and upper ".
I hope it's not upper flippers on special buttons. I'd sooner upper and lowers were linked to the normal TPA flipper buttons. It'd mean you can't make a 'U' shot from the lower left flipper (as upper left wouldn't get out of the way in time) but it'd play a lot better.

Things like this make some pins poor choices IMO. Anything with special buttons stink on mobile. I end up just ignoring the special buttons. Hope they find a way to make it work.

HotHamBoy

Aug 2, 2014
Ugh, special buttons are a nightmare on iPad. I never play SST.

I wonder why Farsight hates talking to us? Would love to know their intentions.

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
i think over the years commication hasits ups and downs and certainly as the forum has grown the devs have taken alittle more of a hands off approach...cuz yall be crazy innit

dtown8532

Apr 10, 2012
Yes. Williams did have the choice of American Gladiators or Rollergames. This was discussed in an old TopCast interview. I'm not sure if it was Steve Ritchie's or someone else involved. We can hope it's Rollergames because Gladiators is a real stinker. If they're going to do a Premier, at least do something pretty obscure like Big House or Excalibur. Or, if they're really interested in "preserving pinball", how about getting photos and game play of Gottlieb's insanely rare prototype of Krull and digitizing that. The movie has gained a cult following and, maybe, before the license is snatched up (like Westworld), FarSight could digitally preserve this piece of Gottlieb history.

Gladiators! Ugh! Stupid game! Should have been Zelda. Stupid Gottlieb marketing. Grumble, grumble.

Oh, and yes, it's very obvious that FarSight is focusing what little resources they have on SPA. Not saying they shouldn't because that is where their future lays in digitizing pinball. Just a shame if they don't recognize some of the rare titles in the effort that they started before TPA is done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.