The Addams Family - Progress Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Espy

Sep 9, 2013
I got TAF on Blu-ray to see what all the fuss was about. I caught a bit of the sequel on TV and thought it looked fun, so I bought the original. Never seen it before, so no nostalgia goggles. And my word... what a mediocre, almost dull movie. It's crazy that such a respected machine is based on such a sub-par property (and even then, one that will cost a lot of money to license!) I suppose that's how it goes in the world of pinball.

pm1109

Dec 18, 2013
I got TAF on Blu-ray to see what all the fuss was about. I caught a bit of the sequel on TV and thought it looked fun, so I bought the original. Never seen it before, so no nostalgia goggles. And my word... what a mediocre, almost dull movie. It's crazy that such a respected machine is based on such a sub-par property (and even then, one that will cost a lot of money to license!) I suppose that's how it goes in the world of pinball.

Welcome back Espy.Yeah I never really liked the movie.Not my cup of tea.Not sure how the pinball table became so popular.Oh well I guess we will all see when in comes to TPA.

night

May 18, 2012

Back in the day it was great. Time changes, now we have ultra fun stuff like the Tila Tequila show, try to beat that.

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
Welcome back Espy.Yeah I never really liked the movie.Not my cup of tea.Not sure how the pinball table became so popular.Oh well I guess we will all see when in comes to TPA.

The theme worked better on the pin than it did in the movie IMO. The movie is just ok, but I do enjoy picking out the pinball callouts when I watch it.

TomL

Mar 12, 2013
I too only saw the TAF movie long after playing the pin. I was also disappointed with the movie. The film just tries too hard, and it comes across as just trying to cash in on the nostalgia for the Addams Family.

I think it's a testament to TAF being a great pin because of how it's great entertainment that stands alone from the source movie. The art, the modes and the audio clips are infectiously awesome despite the movie being blah.

wizard33

Jul 31, 2014
Why is TAF greatly apreciated ? it's a Pat Lawlor. Period.
Think about Twilight Zone.. Theatre Magic.. etc
The movie could be the stupidest in the world, the pinball comes from a Master.

Espy

Sep 9, 2013
Why is TAF greatly apreciated ? it's a Pat Lawlor. Period.
Think about Twilight Zone.. Theatre Magic.. etc
The movie could be the stupidest in the world, the pinball comes from a Master.

TOM was a J-Pop. Not a Lawlor.

That sentence looks nonsensical. Man, pinball terminology...

Crawley

Mar 25, 2013
Yeah I can imagine the films don't hold up now but back then it was pretty huge. It made around $200 million worldwide, which back in the early 90's was a significant hit. I think after Tim Burton made Beetlejuice and Edward Scissorhands people were pretty open and clamoring a bit for quirky stylish movies with that gothic look - it was a new thing back then. Plus it was hitting hard on the nostalgia vibe. The show as still playing in re-runs heavily and I don't think at that point Hollywood had been going crazy with TV remakes. I did see it in a theater and recall it being a lot of fun to watch. So seeing it in a theater with the crowd likely enhanced enjoyment. I do recall the sequel was a bit of a stinker though.

So yeah, back then it was good stuff, today it probably doesn't hold up so well.

night

May 18, 2012
Yeah I can imagine the films don't hold up now but back then it was pretty huge. It made around $200 million worldwide, which back in the early 90's was a significant hit. I think after Tim Burton made Beetlejuice and Edward Scissorhands people were pretty open and clamoring a bit for quirky stylish movies with that gothic look - it was a new thing back then. Plus it was hitting hard on the nostalgia vibe. The show as still playing in re-runs heavily and I don't think at that point Hollywood had been going crazy with TV remakes. I did see it in a theater and recall it being a lot of fun to watch. So seeing it in a theater with the crowd likely enhanced enjoyment. I do recall the sequel was a bit of a stinker though.

So yeah, back then it was good stuff, today it probably doesn't hold up so well.

Edward Scissorhands is still a blast. That would make a nice table.

Kratos3

Sep 22, 2013
TOM was a J-Pop. Not a Lawlor.

That sentence looks nonsensical. Man, pinball terminology...

What if TOM was a Lawlor?

7u7yme6e.jpg

DokkenRokken

Banned
Apr 7, 2014
There's not a table out there that is better in my opinion than TOM. I think BSD is the only one that comes close.

Oh, and TAF movie was fantastic. I'm surprised some people didn't enjoy it. Now, the sequel on the other hand.... ugh.

Baltimore Jones

Jul 25, 2013

With all the clamor over the pinball table I've been wanting to see the movie again. I was surprised when I looked at Rotten Tomatoes and saw that the movie only has a 60% (just barely "Fresh"). I thought I remembered the movie being more well-regarded at the time. I loved it as a 5th Grader and also enjoyed playing the Gameboy game on the sly during class.

Contrary to what you would think, Addams Family Values actually has a 78% on RT.com and their summary is:

New, well-developed characters add dimension to this batty satire, creating a comedy much more substantial than the original.

Espy

Sep 9, 2013
With all the clamor over the pinball table I've been wanting to see the movie again. I was surprised when I looked at Rotten Tomatoes and saw that the movie only has a 60% (just barely "Fresh"). I thought I remembered the movie being more well-regarded at the time. I loved it as a 5th Grader and also enjoyed playing the Gameboy game on the sly during class.

Contrary to what you would think, Addams Family Values actually has a 78% on RT.com and their summary is:

From what I saw of the sequel it is a lot more entertaining. More light-hearted, too.

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
---------------
The tv show is (was) great. I doubt the movies came close to it eh. At least, the pinball machine is great eh.:cool:;)

If you liked the TV show, the movies won't do much for you. I think I would have enjoyed them more if I had never seen the show. They have their moments but overall the movies feel really forced and awkward. Cristina Ricci was awesome and the casting was actually about as good as you could hope for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.