The Official Latest NEWS And INFORMATION Discussion Thread

N

netizen

Seriously now....all that happened in the polls is we saw that the popularity is nearly identical to all the other polls for popularity on the web. There are dozens and dozens of top pin lists and they for the most part pretty much echo one another. They vary a bit with placement in their list of where a table is in their top 100, 200, 300 lists. However they do pretty much show up on every list. Monster Bash will be 4 on one list and 2 on another and 15 on another, but they all pretty much have that table on them all. So we kind of already knew what was going to win. It's just the placement number on the list that is the surprise for pretty much all of us.
Given that the tables that were selected are so high ranking was there ever a serious doubt they would not be selected by Farsight to be digitized though, given the number of top 100 tables that have been made already pre-poll.

I go back to playing 1960's and early 1970's machines, but do I want a ton of them on TPA? HELL NO! Give me a more modern table like Monster Bash or Star Trek The Next Gen any day. I want massive replay value, eye candy, sound, BLING...BLING! You are not going to get bling, bling out of a 1971 Gottlieb table. So a ton of people are voting with their hearts. My heart says I want to play the most complex tables out there. So I have been voting for the most complex tables ever created. I think a lot of us are doing this.
Then we wind up right where we are today with players not being happy with the tables made. They have top 100 tables, but they want them harder, with more options, with this and that and blah. They games take too long. it's a never ending cycle. The only way to meet both needs is to continue todo what was happening in the first season, mostly. Mix a "Strong" table, usually a DMD era, with a lesser known or older table in the same pack and you cover all your bases. As more table packs add up players wind up with a large variety of tables to play, and they have the complex, epic tables they clamour for in addition to the classic shorter games when they don't want to sit and play 1+ hour games of mode chasing, wood chopping action.

We do need some of the older machines, but we also do not want to miss out on having the tables like The Adams Family, Family Guy, Simpsons, The Party Zone, Corvette and all the other tables that wow us with features.
At what point during any of the table pack releases was there the slightest indication that there would be a point that FarSight would stop releasing larger name, newer developed tables. This entire idea is the worst strawman argument.

Results go against the grain very often from what a poll dictates is going to happen. Chaos theory, and a bit of Murphy's Law. :)
Except when the poll results show pretty much exactly what was predicted, then the results go with the grain, very often dictating was is happening. No Chaos. No Murphy. Had there been any Murphy's Law, the big name tables that most everyone recognizes would have lost the poll. You do understand how that would be things going wrong for the most number of people, right.

Rudy

Sep 13, 2012
On one hand, I'm not exactly happy with how the polls ended up turning out, but that's just a matter of taste and I'd be happy with every single one of those tables anyways.

On the other, I'm finding it pretty funny that for ages we've been begging for more influence on how table packs are selected, only to beg Farsight not to take the polls too seriously because some people don't agree with them :p

Nightwing

Aug 1, 2012
You can count me in as one who would rather see more of the Williams tables then the other manufactures listed. Sure I'd also love more licensed games (who wouldn't?) but realistically - just how much can FS take on? How many more do you think would carry a KS?

That being said,I'm fairly happy with the way the poles turned out. I do think that while FS will look at these polls seriously - I think they'll stick more to the ipdb & especially the pinside lists for future tables. If there is a Season Three with ten packs - it will get interesting PDQ because the rereleases will be all but gone.

Look,I'm happy with TPA and most of its tables. And I'll happily buy more packs/seasons along the way.

Just give me Banzai Run,Road Show,and somehow get The Shadow made & I'll be happy!

Mick Morry

Jun 9, 2013
Given that the tables that were selected are so high ranking was there ever a serious doubt they would not be selected by Farsight to be digitized though, given the number of top 100 tables that have been made already pre-poll.

Then we wind up right where we are today with players not being happy with the tables made. They have top 100 tables, but they want them harder, with more options, with this and that and blah. They games take too long. it's a never ending cycle. The only way to meet both needs is to continue todo what was happening in the first season, mostly. Mix a "Strong" table, usually a DMD era, with a lesser known or older table in the same pack and you cover all your bases. As more table packs add up players wind up with a large variety of tables to play, and they have the complex, epic tables they clamour for in addition to the classic shorter games when they don't want to sit and play 1+ hour games of mode chasing, wood chopping action.

At what point during any of the table pack releases was there the slightest indication that there would be a point that FarSight would stop releasing larger name, newer developed tables. This entire idea is the worst strawman argument.

Except when the poll results show pretty much exactly what was predicted, then the results go with the grain, very often dictating was is happening. No Chaos. No Murphy. Had there been any Murphy's Law, the big name tables that most everyone recognizes would have lost the poll. You do understand how that would be things going wrong for the most number of people, right.

Well said. I agree with much of what you say. Especially the stuff you talk about in your second paragraph about all the disenchantment and complaining. It's so true. It's endless. I am happy with whatever they give us. I will play any good table. The polls are fun though. I have to admit it. I am a sucker for a good poll. I think it's because the passion comes out of all us pinballers. I find when we talk about our favorite pins you learn more about tables you didn't know so well, and it also brings back memories of machines you do know well. Through these polls I found a bunch of tables I have never seen or heard about. I want to play them now. So TPA is the only real option. I live too far away from any serious pinball collection, museum or functioning arcade.

In the end I will take whatever I can get, and I won't gripe or complain. :)

I also agree with you too Rudy. Nice to see so many pinballers that are just happy getting what we get, but are having fun with the polls and the pinball community as a whole too. That's what it's all about. This is why Pinball is so cool and why pinballers are such nice people. We are not as tight and abrasive as much as the mainstream of gamers are. We are just a bit more laid back.

Last edited:

Mick Morry

Jun 9, 2013
It may show up Krooze. This all is just speculation after all. FarSight is probably trolling our threads, and is looking for the tables that get mentioned over and over and over again. Like Evil Kneivel, Dolly Parton, and Banzai Run, Banzai Run, Banzai Run. There....those 3 are on me. Mention it enough and it might become a table. Look at Haunted House. A ton of us spent so much time mentioning it in all the forums they are watching that it is a reality now.

Want to bet that Class Of 1812 is one of next month's tables? It very well could be due to how much it is being mentioned by all us Halloween/haunted themed pinballers.

Tokyo Rose

Jul 13, 2012
Mick, I must say I get a real kick out of your posts. Your enthusiasm is obvious-and all over the place often. I never know from post to post just what you really think at all, as you will undermine some of your previous thoughts at the drop of a hat in subsequent posts. It's somewhat schizophrenic, but always entertaining nonetheless. Glad to see you are having fun though and are passionate about TPA. :D

sotie

Aug 30, 2012
Look at the people that are in the 5 percent category. They go right against the grain of typical polls. You just can't satisfy everyone. You can't please everyone all of the time hold true.

Where are you getting these percentages from? I mentioned 5% because I was making fun of you when you said that "Proof all us pinballers are on the same page. I voted for 95% of all the tables selected." I thought it was odd that your math didn't add up. My point was that just because 95% of your votes were in the top 10 it doesn't indicate that "all us pinballers are on the same page." If everyone was on the same page then the 20 other tables in each poll which didn't make the top 10 would only add up to 5%.

I've never complained here about an unreleased table and I'm always happy to get more, whatever they may be.

The only way to meet both needs is to continue todo what was happening in the first season, mostly. Mix a "Strong" table, usually a DMD era, with a lesser known or older table in the same pack and you cover all your bases. As more table packs add up players wind up with a large variety of tables to play, and they have the complex, epic tables they clamour for in addition to the classic shorter games when they don't want to sit and play 1+ hour games of mode chasing, wood chopping action.

I feel the same. When I first started to play TPA in February 2012 and the months following all I wanted were Williams DMD and modern Stern tables and if anyone told me I would really enjoy playing older tables I never would have believed it. Ever since the first day TPA hit the iOS store I've purchased every pack day one. A lot of times those packs included an older table I didn't think I would really enjoy, but heck it was another pinball table plus it was paired with something I was really anticipating. At some point I tired of the really long games and started to seek out the tables which would give me a shorter game. I remember in June 2012 it was so exciting to get Monster Bash and I could care less about Gorgar. After a few weeks of my MB games going too long and eating into the time I should have been working I really started to turn to Gorgar instead. I think the biggest surprise was the Scared Stiff/Big Shot pack. I remember everyone was really anticipating Scared Stiff (so was I) and from the beginning it was so hard to stick with it because of the glitch where the ball kept repeatedly going into the Dead Head family album. Anyway, I found myself playing Big Shot quite a bit that month and surprisingly enjoyed it.

Mick, I must say I get a real kick out of your posts. Your enthusiasm is obvious-and all over the place often. I never know from post to post just what you really think at all, as you will undermine some of your previous thoughts at the drop of a hat in subsequent posts. It's somewhat schizophrenic, but always entertaining nonetheless. Glad to see you are having fun though and are passionate about TPA. :D

I think he's passionate about Pro Pinball and Zaccaria too. I saw it in his signature in all posts. :cool:

Last edited:

David Pannozzo

Mar 6, 2012
I'm with everybody else, I just want to play pinball. I'm not a big fan of EM games, but I find myself playing Central Park every so often. I will take anything, but I would love to see Fire!, Banzai Run, Jokerz, Hurricane, Rescue 911, my all-time favorite game Stern Family Guy (which won't be made until Steve Ellenoff gets the S.A.M. System Emulated) and a few more then I will be the happiest person Alive. My other all-time favorite game is Jersey Jacks Wizard of Oz, but I know I'll never see that on The Pinball Arcade (but at least I can dream), if it wasn't so much money I would by that and Family Guy in a second I've always wanted to have a couple of real pinball games in my house, and those two would be them. See ya.

Mick Morry

Jun 9, 2013

I just like a lot of tables Tokyo. It's hard to pick them when you were privileged enough to play so many, as I got to play. I tend to joke around an awful lot too. It's an army thing. Humour runs deep in the military. Glad you like my posts. I try not to be dull. Hoooah! :)

sotie

Aug 30, 2012
I just like a lot of tables Tokyo. It's hard to pick them when you were privileged enough to play so many, as I got to play. I tend to joke around an awful lot too. It's an army thing. Humour runs deep in the military. Glad you like my posts. I try not to be dull. Hoooah! :)

Sidenote: 25% of your total post count is from the last 24 hours. No joke.

sotie

Aug 30, 2012
Which is just around 15 more posts than you did today and yesterday btw. Around 10 of my posts were trying to help people that couldn't get into the beta or get Timeshock working. Your point????!!!!!!!! Everyone is allowed to take a day off once in a while. I work over 360 Days a year...including Christmas and New Years. Allow me to take a couple of days off a year and post a few more posts than normal. In fact I am still working today and yesterday as I run a dog boarding business, a major flower business and run a farm. I did work a tiny bit less the last two days due to rain.

Dude, don't take offense. My point? It was that you've been quite prolific, nothing else. Thanks for the resume though.

sotie

Aug 30, 2012
I didn't appreciate being singled out when you are just as prolific.

I believe just about anyone would have taken that remark as an insult. Which is how I interpreted it. Anyways happy gaming.

Sorry, I have a very dry sense of humor. Considering that I reached out to you in a friendly manner via PM earlier today I thought you would have taken it in jest.

I won't make fun with you anymore, if I make a comment like that again then I'll mean it.

Last edited:

ER777

Sep 8, 2012
I thought this might be interesting to take a look at with all of the talk about people liking newer games versus older ones. This is the ranking of votes per table by year for all six polls combined:

YearVotesTablesAverage

Last edited:

Mick Morry

Jun 9, 2013
No problem Sotie. I truthfully love your posts. The Insert Cricket noises had me dying laughing. I am sarcastic as can be...so I should have picked up on it. Sorry too for the confusion. I just sent you a PM back. I didn't notice it until just now. :) I deleted my other posts just above this. No need to have words that were mistaken up there forever.

That link you sent me has me drooling! OMG dude that is amazing!!!!!!!! I have to have one. I will be placing an order for sure. You have to tell me more in a PM all about it. Coolest thing I have seen in years sotie!!!!!

Friends?

Last edited:

Mick Morry

Jun 9, 2013
=D Fungi is just jealous.

Hey...I had no idea that was even possible. Sotie has some mad skills. Bet you own one Fungi?

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts