timeframe on dx11

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vegard

Jan 2, 2014
release frame for DX11 on PC was like "soon after PS4 version release"..and you know true meaning of this "soon" XD

"Soon" is definitely a very relative term when it comes to developers and their games.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
Patience, grasshopper. New rendering tech is not something that FarSight can just wave a magic wand and have done in a day, or even a month. I know we all want our eye candy - I've been waiting eagerly for DX11, too - but it's not like we don't have lots of tables to keep us occupied in the meantime.

AshleyAshes

Jun 27, 2012
It's not like DX9 is some sort of hideously unplayable monster. :p TPA is awesome, DX11 TPA will just be awesomER. :D

Byte

Nov 11, 2012
I'm hoping it's going to be a rewrite for DX11 rather than just porting it over. I'm still undecided between getting a PS4 or building a gaming PC.

Alex Atkin UK

Sep 26, 2012
I'm hoping it will be refined over the PS4 version.

While the lighting on some tables is awesome (Funhouse) I still find things like bumpers look too overexposed and it still doesn't quite feel like there are bulbs on there emitting the light. It can also be a bit too bright, I lose track of the ball on Funhouse (perhaps you do on the real thing?) but cranking up the room lighting setting then makes EVERYTHING too bright. You could do with being able to tweak the brightness of the actual table lights, preferably a proper analog dim to bright setting. I spent last night tweaking my TV settings to try and get it right and its much improved but still not perfect.

I think a lot of the problem may be the artwork though rather than the lighting itself. On some tables it look like a bulb lighting up a decal, on others its too overexposed like a poor photo of a lit decal. Its the same with fruit machine simulations, its pretty much impossible to get a photo that looks exactly right. I believe the only time it looks right is when someone has spent a LOT of time manually fixing the artwork.

Last edited:

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
Yeah please. As stated above, it's all about the lighting. On some tables there just is none! No effects / dynamic lights at all.
Actually I don't really know why dx11 is needed for this. I have seen some pretty decent dynamic lighting in dx9 games back in the days (doom 3).

A decent gaming pc can easily outperform the ps4.
So yes please improove the pc version from ancient xbox low end to present standards.

Last edited:

hawk

Mar 1, 2014
DX11 would improve the PC version and possibly attract new customers and maybe make pinball newcomers to buy more tables. Hope it will be available soon.

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
Maybe we shold rename this to "timeframe on realistic dynamic lighting".
Is open gl already ruled out?

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
I don't think they want to limit their audience to a single OS, though it would be fair if they ceased XP support as of next month.

Not sure what all the hate is on windows 8, it's mainly Windows 7 that boots faster, runs faster and has a full screen start menu.

Shaneus

Mar 26, 2012
I'm hoping it will be refined over the PS4 version.

While the lighting on some tables is awesome (Funhouse) I still find things like bumpers look too overexposed and it still doesn't quite feel like there are bulbs on there emitting the light. It can also be a bit too bright, I lose track of the ball on Funhouse (perhaps you do on the real thing?) but cranking up the room lighting setting then makes EVERYTHING too bright. You could do with being able to tweak the brightness of the actual table lights, preferably a proper analog dim to bright setting. I spent last night tweaking my TV settings to try and get it right and its much improved but still not perfect.

I think a lot of the problem may be the artwork though rather than the lighting itself. On some tables it look like a bulb lighting up a decal, on others its too overexposed like a poor photo of a lit decal. Its the same with fruit machine simulations, its pretty much impossible to get a photo that looks exactly right. I believe the only time it looks right is when someone has spent a LOT of time manually fixing the artwork.
I have a feeling that's with some tables that were on PHoF. None of the tables done for TPA specifically seem to have the issue, but a large number (Funhouse, Taxi... there are some others that escape me) have lighting that looks great for a static lighting system, but when things like bloom and other PP effects are implemented, it blows them out. Similar thing happens with some tables on the PS4 version... some look great, while a table like Funhouse looks overdone IMO.

Retron

Oct 31, 2013
Not sure what all the hate is on windows 8, it's mainly Windows 7 that boots faster, runs faster and has a full screen start menu.
It's Windows/386 (when it comes to the colour schemes used for the windowing system, having lost Aero Glass between release preview and release)
It's Vista (when it comes to icons)
It's Windows 7 (when it comes to Media Player, which still has shiny Aero-glassesque icons. Oh, except it won't play DVDs)
It's something which assumes you have a touch screen (when you insert a memory stick - "tap to choose what happens", pah)
It's something whose devs realised they'd made a terrible mistake but couldn't fix it in time (the right-click Start menu, a horrible kludge which involves registry entries and LNK files)
It's the very definition of inconsistency (click volume, get a Win7-style popup. Click the clock, ditto. Click the network icon, get a Metro popup. Delete a file, get a Win7-style dialog box. Run a 16-bit program on x64 Windows, get a Metro-style error message).
It's the first version of Windows with a major UI change which hasn't offered the old system as an option. (Win 3.0 offered the MS-DOS Executive from Win1/2, Win95/NT4 had Program/File Manager from Win3 as an option, WinXP offered the classic Start Menu from 98/ME/2000)

It's an ugly, half-finished, rushed bodge job of an OS. Inconsistent as hell, half-irrelevant to a desktop PC with a big monitor and frankly something which should never have been released. Windows 8.1 (and 8.1 update 1) just add a bit of polish to the mess, not really fixing anything.

Roll on Windows 9, where hopefully they'll go back to being consistent (even if it still looks ugly!)

Last edited:

Roo

Jul 5, 2013
It's Windows/386 (when it comes to the colour schemes used for the windowing system, having lost Aero Glass between release preview and release)
It's Vista (when it comes to icons)
It's Windows 7 (when it comes to Media Player, which still has shiny Aero-glassesque icons. Oh, except it won't play DVDs)
It's something which assumes you have a touch screen (when you insert a memory stick - "tap to choose what happens", pah)
It's something whose devs realised they'd made a terrible mistake but couldn't fix it in time (the right-click Start menu, a horrible kludge which involves registry entries and LNK files)
It's the very definition of inconsistency (click volume, get a Win7-style popup. Click the clock, ditto. Click the network icon, get a Metro popup. Delete a file, get a Win7-style dialog box. Run a 16-bit program on x64 Windows, get a Metro-style error message).
It's the first version of Windows with a major UI change which hasn't offered the old system as an option. (Win 3.0 offered the MS-DOS Executive from Win1/2, Win95/NT4 had Program/File Manager from Win3 as an option, WinXP offered the classic Start Menu from 98/ME/2000)

It's an ugly, half-finished, rushed bodge job of an OS. Inconsistent as hell, half-irrelevant to a desktop PC with a big monitor and frankly something which should never have been released. Windows 8.1 (and 8.1 update 1) just add a bit of polish to the mess, not really fixing anything.

Roll on Windows 9, where hopefully they'll go back to being consistent (even if it still looks ugly!)

Ha, yeah. I use Windows 8 on my gaming machine and appreciate the performance enhancements -- it boots almost as fast as a console. But everything about the start screen is terrible in a non-tablet environment.

The first time I used it I literally had to do a Google search to figure out how to turn the PC off. Oh, you have to hover the mouse in the bottom-right corner of the screen, and then go to Settings. Of course; how did I not realize that?

Where's the search function? Oh, you're supposed to just start typing wherever you are...ok...

The first (and only) time I used any of the "Metro" apps, I couldn't figure out how to close them and somehow clicking "back" just put me in an endless loop.

If a software developer who's been using Windows for over 20 years can't figure out basic OS functions, I think there's a problem.

Anyway... can't wait for DX11 lighting!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.